2Leafer AVR Update

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2leafer

Hi Everyone,
Sorry I haven't posted an update since before flying home from The Cleveland Clinic. All went really well on the flights home. Over 10 hours of travel time and I enjoyed every moment of it. My first flight from Cleveland to Chicago was delayed so I had to take an American Airlines flight which landed in a completely different part of the city they call the Chicago Airport. I had a great guy push me in a wheel chair all the way to my gate. It took about 15 minutes and it felt like I was in Disneyland. Once he left I walked down to a chinese restaurant and had a great lunch. Anyways the flight was problem free and I've been back in Oregon for two weeks this Monday. I'm still sleeping on my rented recliner. Boy, that was the best decision I ever made. I'm spoiled now. I'll keep it for another 3 weeks and then turn it back. I'm walking 30 minutes twice a day sometimes with one of the dogs and sometimes by myself. When I walk with them I use an "easy-walk" harness so they don't pull. I'm trying to wean myself off the Vicodins now. I've only taken them at night, usually 2 or 3, but now I'm down to one. They do a fantastic job of taking away any discomfort but I started to look forward to taking them and that was a red flag. There not helping my GI tract and they make me sleepy all the time. I think I'll deal with the discomfort and start getting my energy back. I'm too old for drugs. I'm starting cardiac rehab this Tuesday and looking forward to that. I can't wait till I can start jogging, but I can tell it's still a ways off. My biggest issue is not to do too much. I've already pushed it a couple of times and paid the price, so I'm really trying to take it easy. Not easy for a guy like me. I saw my local cardiologist on March 3rd, 9 days after surgery, and he was blown away with my recovery. Scheduled to see him again on May 7th. I've got an Chest Xray, Echo, and bloodwork scheduled for March 26th. I looking forward to the Echo results the most as I want to compare it with my previous ones, especially concerning my mitral valve as it seems to be louder than before. I always had a slight murmer from it but I don't see how it could have been effected by the AVR. We'll see.

Thanks Mentu & CityGuy for checking in.......you guys are awesome!!!

Has anyone heard from EchoGuy. He was scheduled for AVR on March 10 with Dr. Roselli at the Cleveland Clinic. I checked for a post and didn't see one. Hope he is doing well. CityGuy, maybe we three can get together for a run sometime with some of the other runners in the zipper club. What do you think?

TAKE CARE EVERYONE.........off to the finish "The Skeleton Coast" by Clive Cussler & Jack Du Brul.......awesome book!!!

Echoguy posted and he is ok. Glad to hear from you and that everything is ok. Yep, doesn't pay to overdo. Listen to your body. Hoping for no speed bumps.

Thanks so much for the update 2leafer! Sounds like progress has been steady.

I am back in the hotel tonight and my wife will be driving me home tomorrow, post op day 5. I will post a longer update soon.

Good for you! Welcome back to Oregon!!

I remember recovery being a battle with resilience..... it just took awhile to build my stamina back.... a pretty long while! But with the optimistic attitude you have I know you will do fine.

Best wishes and keep up the good work!

Marguerite

Amazed to hear about your rapid recovery. Hoping for the same results myself following my surgery on MAr 29th. Fortunately I have but a 45 minute drive to the Heart Institute for my valve replacement and double bypass, but I am looking forward to a new life after surgery. Keep up the good work and positive attitude. PS My son lived in Oregon for 5 years and we visited him a number of times. We love the Northwest coast especially the area arounde Oceanside, where we once rented a condo for two weeks.

Latest posts

Back