29 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

Later this week, July 26, 1991, St Jude's aortic valve replacement.

I had rheumatic fever twice as a child, ages 5 & 10 that damaged the valve. I was declared 4F for the military draft during the VietNam war. I had a minor stroke at age 39 from a random blood clot blamed on the leaky valve. Finally told it was time at 43.

Through all that time, before and after the surgery, I was very athletic. Ran over 500 races on roads, tracks and trails. Did shot put for 25 years. There were times when I did 400 pushups per day. Did a few short distance triathlons and swim meets. 72 now I can no longer run due to arthritis, but continue to train with a masters swim team and going out tonight to swim a half mile loop around a local lake with the tri club.

Congratulations Jack on 29 years.

You and I have walked a similar path to get to the spot we are today.....altho I never was a runner or competitive swimmer but I did paddle around the lake on a car inner tube:giggle:.

Congratulations! I have had a st Jude grafted aortic valve for 10 years They think I had rheumatic fever when I was 5. I am now 69 and would like to see another 19 yrs on my valve. One of the keys, I think, is staying active. I considered myself active until I read what you have done and still do. Keep on goin’!

Latest posts

Back