29 years tomorrow!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

Wow. Another year already. Eating Warfarin like candy for 29 years just ticking away. Wonder who holds the record for the longest time on Warfarin? Anyone else start younger than 18? I beat that by two days.

Not on my original mechanical valve anymore so I can’t shoot for that record. Only 10 years (as of October 15) on my current model.

Valversary tomorrow, Birthday on Saturday. Party time!

Big congrats and happy Valversary to you, Superman!

To many more years of clicking away with good health! Good question re: Warfarin record holder!
Very best wishes,

I'm pretty sure Dick has us all beaten in terms of valve life and time on Coumadin. (I've been on it for more than 28 years - still on the same Valve. But Dick's valve probably IS a world record).

Anyway - congrats on the valversary.

I know about the current record. I was thinking of potential records way down the road. I had a 14 year head start on Dick having started on Warfarin at 17. Of course immediately after I posted that, I saw another person on here who started at 15.

Party time for sure! Just don't chow down on too much Warfarin. lol I am two months into taking Warfarin post-op and have a weekly INR check this afternoon. I have a bovine valve but had blood clot problem in surgery (manifesting in left arm). Was told I could come off Warfarin in 3 months but wondering how that transition is done. Guess you are not the guy to ask about that -- Mr. 29-Year-Old! Happy anniversary to you -- and many more!

Last edited:
Superbob - warfarin isn't a medication that you develop a tolerance to - or that will make you feel any different if you don't take it. When it's time to stop taking it - stop taking it.

Superman - if you're asking about what is the youngest that a person has started taking warfarin, there have been parents on this site who are helping fairly young children who've had valve surgery and have been on warfarin since they were younger than 15. Of course, at that age, a bit of concern about bruising from kids' activities or, perhaps, even growth spurts, may have been a bit on the parents' minds.

Warfarin in 3 months but wondering how that transition is done.
as I understand it, when its determined that you're no longer a clot risk, you just come off it and over a few days your INR returns to "normal"

Latest posts

Back