27 Years Today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flex131

I cant believe how fast time has passed. 27 years ticking hopefully 40+ more :) I am 49. I want to beat Dick's record and I am always happy to see he keeps setting the bar higher.
I switched sport from Beach Volleyball to Pickleball, wow its so much fun and easier on the body. Been playing now for about two years, doing Tournament too.
Recommend it to anyone and no worries being on blood thinners LOL .

God willing see you all next year. Take care

I cant believe how fast time has passed. 27 years ticking hopefully 40+ more :) I am 49. I want to beat Dick's record and I am always happy to see he keeps setting the bar higher.

Hi again Stretch......come around more often....you are about half-way there...............but I'm still planning on adding a few more years........"good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise". BTW, you have a good chance of beating my record and I hope you do!!

Lol, I am not sure how much of a choice I had? I certainly was not asked.....

I went by my surgeon's advise. I liked the idea not having to have surgery every 10 years or so. He didnt give an exact date how long a mech valve will last but said 30+. Glad i went mech. Coumadin was an issue at the beginning didnt take it seriously but after some really close calls I didnt mess around anymore. Been stable since. Just some minor adjustments through the years..

I switched sport from Beach Volleyball to Pickleball, wow its so much fun and easier on the body. Been playing now for about two years, doing Tournament too.
Recommend it to anyone and no worries being on blood thinners LOL .

God willing see you all next year. Take care
Very cool to see. You must be doing many things right to allow your valve to last so long!

Very cool to see. You must be doing many things right to allow your valve to last so long!
Sports, I think for me is the biggest factor. I play at least 4 to 5 times a week. Unless an injury.
I eat pretty much everything accept vegetables, sounds crazy lol but never eaten them I dont like it.. No fried food either. :) Fyi always been very thin..5-10 @ 145#.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIB
In your age group, late 60s, a tissue valve is a very reasonable choice and probably will last you longer than 10 years. It's the younger folks that tend to go through tissue valves quickly. But, interesting that you were not even given a choice. The EU guidelines consider either mechanical or tissue a reasonable choice for patients aged between 60 and 70. Perhaps the surgeon making your decision for you is a France thing?

"Perhaps the surgeon making your decision for you is a France thing?" I don't know, they footed the bill . And , being 68 tissue was probably the most reasonable choice.It came with a three week rehab at Hopital Léon Bertrandon on the Mediterranean coast, it was very beautiful,more like a retreat , actually I feel pretty lucky

And , being 68 tissue was probably the most reasonable choice

Quite. Although not as poor as if one did that under 40 (without good reasons), but as Dr Schaff mentioned in his presentation people do often require warfarin as they approach the second decade of a tissue valve (a variety of reasons) and so if one made the choice bases on avoidance of warfarin that would be a bit if a bitter pill. Secondly he observes that if you then aren't amenable to TAVR then you've put yourself at re-operation door for what benefit? Again, assuming that there is no Medical reason to have avoided warfarin.

Again, this is just me repeating what an older top surgeon of the Mayo Clinic said in a presentation to doctors

It's a numbers game

Latest posts

Back