25 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr V

I just celebrated 25 years for my St Jude mitral valve. I almost didn't make it when my repair went south. So 2 open heart surgeries in 2 days but 25 years later still going strong. On my first surgery I think they were letting me wake up a bit early. I recall feeling them pulling as they were suturing me up. I did not feel pain, just was aware of what was going on. Think I ended up spending 13 days in the hospital after that. My cardiologist tried everything they knew to make the repair work. Evidently one of the leaflets was blocking something and my lungs started filling up with fluid. They had turned the temporary pacemaker up high thinking that might help. After breathing like I was running for hours I did not think I could keep breathing. They had no open operating rooms once they decided they needed to go back in and replace it. I ended up intubated when my oxygen kept dropping. I was told my oxygen had dropped to about 10%. They were surprised my organs did not start to shut down. The scans afterwards showed no brain damage but my wife doesn't agree with that :cool:. I guess the good lord wasn't ready for me yet and still kicking.

Hi Mr. V. I think you will enjoy this forum and your experiences will benefit the new valve patients that come here looking for support.......and answers to the many living questions we all had, and still have.

Congratulations!
Go go St Jude, my fathers did 34yrs and was still going strong when he passed.

Congratulations on your 25th anniversary and hoping for more great ones to come.

Congrats, I also celebrated 25 years in June since my first AVR, at the age of 12. I wish you the best and many more years of good health.

Congrats, I also celebrated 25 years in June since my first AVR, at the age of 12. I wish you the best and many more years of good health.
Congratulations to you too! And to many more great years.

Latest posts

Back