24 year anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

Valve Anniversary #24. St Jude's aortic valve replacement July 26, 1991 at age 43. I have lived and loved a great deal since then. We had been married 22 years, now It's coming up on 46. My 4 kids were between 6 & 16, now 30-40. We've seen them all finish college, 3 of them to doctorates and they've since added 5 grandchildren to the clan.
I was always active, a runner long before the valve replacement, and was able to return to it within weeks. I have continued to maintain about 1,000 miles per year and have run some 330 road races since, even placing in the top 3 in my age group a few times. The year I turned 65, 22 years post surgery, I ran a half marathon, swam a mile and did 500 pushups in 1 hour.
My wish for you is that you too can see a greater richness in your lives after having your heart problem fixed and I trust you will not squander the bonus time you have now been given.

This is fantastic to read. I just received a St Jude valve at age 41, with 2 young children. I was a runner prior to surgery and am getting back to it now. Hoping for 50 plus years of a long, healthy life.

SumoRunner;n857049 said:
Valve Anniversary #24. St Jude's aortic valve replacement July 26, 1991 at age 43. ...My wish for you is that you too can see a greater richness in your lives after having your heart problem fixed and I trust you will not squander the bonus time you have now been given.

love to hear the success stories :)

its great that we (me included twice now) get second leases on life with these surgeries.

I can report that I have not squandered mine either. Since my first valve replaement (at 28 here in Australia) I have completed a degree, a research masters degree, traveled the world for some years, met a wonderful Finnish woman in South Korea and got married and lived in Finland.

CRW_2245_t.jpg

Life is what you make it! Don't expect opportunities to be thrust upon you, but if you go in search of them you'll find them for sure.

Best Wishes

Congratulations ... As said above this is very encouraging ... It is exactly two weeks since my AVR ... May the next 24 years be good to you.

Awesome, thanks for sharing. In the 2 years since my aortic aneurysm was repaired, I have seen two of my children graduate high school, taken up hiking, made more time for exercise, left a job I didn't like, celebrated anniversaries, birthdays, and holidays with friends and family ... and looking to add a lot more to this list over time, including finishing the 3 hole backyard mini golf course I started making with my youngest son.

Hi, Jack! I was "away" for a couple of days and missed the event. Congratulations on 24 big years with your valve. You have always been an inspiration to me, and although I'm older than you, I still look "up" to you. Keep up the great work, and thanks for sticking around here with us.

Latest posts

Back