23 Years yesterday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
glad to hear its still ticking on :) ... after this time its nice to feel that its business as usual. But (like the sea) its always good to keep an eye on it ... but it must increase the confidence :)

Thanks, everyone. Interestingly, I try to remember not to let my guard down. Yesterday my INR, on my Coag-Sense, was 1.8. (At the lab, it would probably be 2.0 -- another reason that I use a meter that seems to report slightly below labs). I'm not especially concerned, but I upped my 7.5 mg daily dose by 2 mg ONE TIME, and I'll check later today or tomorrow.

As Pellicle said, it's nice to keep an eye on it -- I expect that the valve will keep ticking until something else kills me -- but I have to remind myself to test weekly, JUST IN CASE MY INR DROPS... (Newer valves may be less sensitive to INR below 2.0, but not mine).

Your report is so nice to hear. At almost 5 years, I still can't quite image twenty years. 23 years would put me well into my 80s. As you suspect, very few of us will die from valve failure. Remember, even our first member, Mr Amundson lived for 10 years after receiving the first successful valve replacement in September, 1960. He died on 01 June, 1970 when he fell from a ladder while outside painting the upper floor of his house. Congrats on your anniversary.

Last edited:
Hey, just one month behind me! Mine was July 26, '91. But here's something else. It was about a month before our 22 wedding anniversary. We just celebrated our 45th, so we've been together longer since AVR than we were before.

And I'll bet we have valve serial numbers very close to one another. I too have a St Jude's and I have kept the ID card all these years. Model 31A-101 serial no. 310676.

The card may be somewhere in my wallet, too. And as far as wedding anniversaries go, we, too, have been together with me ticking than we were before. When I find the serial number, I'll put it here.

Latest posts

Back