22 years today! November 21, 1990

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superman

Unfortunately I no longer have the original hardware (replaced three years ago). But I've been clicking and ticking and anti-coagulating my blood for 22 years today. I've now spent roughly 55% of my life ticking.

Unfortunately I no longer have the original hardware (replaced three years ago). But I've been clicking and ticking and anti-coagulating my blood for 22 years today. I've now spent roughly 55% of my life ticking.

I assume you were very young, thus the decision for an artificial valve.,

I am very nervous about an artificial valve due to the need to take coumadin.

I am a ways off with my surgeon who my cardilogist is communicating with.

So, I do not know what my options are yet.

What has been you experience with monitoring for the the anti-coagulating drug?

What was it like when the first valve began to fail?

What was it like to go through the surgery a second time? Was it easier or worse than the first?

Next up a cath and TEE on 12/4.

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Heart of the Sunrise

I assume you were very young, thus the decision for an artificial valve.

I had my first AVR two days before my 18th birthday. Just celebrated my 40th.

What has been you experience with monitoring for the anti-coagulating drug?

Just a pill I take. Back in the old days, I used to get down to the lab not nearly as frequently as I should have. But I was young and indestructable. Now, with home-monitoring available, it's so easy. In terms of activity. No real changes from my perspective. I was an active mountain biker. I've been downhill skiing a few times. Did some running. Coach my kids in baseball and I've taken a couple line drives off the ribs or shins and the occassional bat in T-Ball when they don't wait until coach gets out of the way prior to swinging.

In terms of diet. I see food, I eat it. The old see-food diet. I don't really give it much thought. If my eating has an impact on my INR, I adjust my dose. The veggie tray and dip and Thanksgiving got my number a little low so I adjusted.

What was it like when the first valve began to fail?

My valve was failing since I was born. Didn't know any different. Never played organized sports and never participated in gym class. My parents and doctors put off replacing it as long as they could to limit the number of surgery's I would have. By my teen years I was tired a lot and slept a ton, but hard to know how much of that was heart and how much was teen.

What was it like to go through the surgery a second time? Was it easier or worse than the first?

Second time was worse only because I thought I wouldn't need it again. My first I was pretty well conditioned to expect it my entire life. In terms of actual recovery, hard to compare. They were a long time apart and my responsibilities were different. The first time I was allowed to do nothing but follow my recovery and rehab with no distractions. The second time I had four kids at home.

Good luck with your pending tests!

Latest posts

Back