2 years and frustrated.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These three pieces of sting are new in town and decide to get a drink at the nearest pub. As they're about to walk through the front door, they notice a sign: WE DO NOT SERVE PIECES OF STRING AT THIS ESTABLISHMENT. They pause, but decide to go in anyway.

The bartender glares at them: 'Didn't you read the sign on the door? Get the hell out of here.'

Dejected, they ponder their next move. One of them decides to go in disguised. He ties a knot where his head would be and frays the top to look like hair. He puts on a pair of sunglasses and boldly enters the bar. He approaches the counter and is seen by the same bartender, who is by this time furious: 'You're one of those fucking pieces of string, I kicked out a few minutes ago.' The brave piece of string looks him straight in the eye and responds 'I'm a frayed knot.'

I wanted to respond more specifically to Peners' issue of rapid heart rate and training. Two things have helped me that I previously under-appreciated: diet and stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system (lots of ways to do this by yourself including Pellicle's deep breathing exercise). There is ample literature on how probiotics affect gut/brain health and the ways stimulation of the parasympathetic nervous system reduces heart rate, so I won't waste time here. My main obstacle has been recovery, during exercise and between workouts. I'm still learning how to show up for a workout rested. I'm taking all kinds of supplements, but curcumin (or tumeric) has been surprisingly helpful to reduce inflammation. I sometimes feel flushed, but I sleep better. I think the inflammation is really the culprit and I suspect it is related to the visual problems I've had. Paleogirl's thread about visual problems seems consistent with my experience, and the longer I work out, the more I notice this is the weakest link. My eyes start screwing up with pressure to the vasculature where the capillaries are tiny. I thought this pain was related to a brain injury due to the surgery, but I think it is just poor adaptation to the new valve (ejection fraction, heart rate variability, and my reaction to increased blood pressure -- I used to regurgitate, but now there is no place for this pressure to go. I think interval work with efforts away from the workout to reduce inflammation is the way to go. Today is a rest day, and I'm learning how much discipline that takes (light exercise so I can sleep, stretching, meditation, lots of fluids, positive thoughts, good joke). If I don't get it done today, I won't make practice tomorrow....or I'll burn out too early in the workout.
I've got a couple of friends and a number of acquaintances thru cardiac rehab that are falling apart after 2 years, mostly because regular exercise was not part of their life. A number of them dealt with stress by drinking alcohol, which seems like the surest way to go downhill. There are ways to live well.

Hi

Patsman07;n857129 said:
My Cardio told me pre-op that with a mechanical valve, the valve cannot stretch and allow as much blood through it as a native valve can. As a result people can sometimes feel like they are stuck in second gear. What your describing might be something to do with that?

I didn't spot this before, but I wanted to address it. This is a classic case of dumbing something down to explain something which is correct, but not what was said and with a false example. Tissue valves do not strech

mitralvalve4.jpg

As you can see the tissue of the valve is attached to an inflexible steel frame, it will not be stretching. The tissue valves have (marginally) better fluid flow but it is not for those reasons at all.

This is where we are not served well by professionals (who may not understand this themselves even).

I have been served very well for 24 years by my St Jude's device. It may have less flexibility than modern designs but I can't complain. It has finished over 330 races.
2Q==

As a former runner/jogger (30+ years), I have found that since valve surgery (tissue valve), I can no longer run. The primary reason is my knees - they are just too painful after a run. The secondary reason, I believe, is medications. Every summer the fitness center I use closes its cardio room for a few weeks for deep cleaning and refurbishment. Over those weeks, I have access to the indoor track instead. Recently I have tried jogging on the cushioned track, with less than stellar results. I can alternate laps - 1/10 mile walking fast, 1/10 mile jogging, but after a couple of miles like this, my heart rate gets up to the low 140's - and not any higher, and I just "run out of gas." My beta blocker seems to be limiting my heart rate, which seems in turn to hold back my performance. This is not terribly relevant to most of you, except for the point that no matter how hard I train, I will likely only see very modest improvements in my ability. If I cannot elevate my heart rate to accommodate heavier work, the only improvement I can hope for is higher efficiency at the rate I can achieve. I do not think I am alone in this limitation - so if you are taking a beta blocker, be aware that you may be artificially limited. Sort of like the governors they used to put on engines to keep us from over-revving them. After several discussions with my trusted cardio, he will not be reducing my beta blocker dosage any farther (started at 100 mg/day, presently at 25 mg/day), so I will just have to put up with it.

Hi
Really enjoyed reading all your articles.I had my Tissue Aortic valve in 2011. (71age) I must admit, it took me about 2 years to be able to run decently, without wondering whither I was going to tear my valve, or have a 'heart attack'! I began to wear a 'heart monitor', but got too worried about the readings, so stopped! Having been a runner for most of my life, I have learned to read my body signals.
Like a few others, I have ran dozens of races up to 5km since surgery, and only today, I ran a tough 5km x-country in 30 mins (76 age).
I have a good cardiologist, who is deep into sport, and recommends good exercise.
Someone mentioned earlier, that just enjoying your running is the secret - I agree a hundred percent! I can run much faster, but I get too many infections when I try!
It is great to run in tune with nature, less stress/fatigue, and you can enjoy the scenery better.
I have started to train for a half marathon later next year, as I would like to qualify for a 'Medtronics' trip to America.
Good luck to ye all
Brian

Haggis Basher - Congratulations on your successful X-country run this morning! It seems, from your writing, that you are happy with your performance and that is a wonderful feeling. My oldest son, 22, ran his first marathon on the road yesterday. It was fun to see all the racers and I look forward to running again, hopefully very soon (although no marathon goals for me). I will have my OHS in December or January to repair an aneurysm. The doc will try to save the valve but he may not be able to do that.

When you say ". . . a Medtronix trip to America" are you suggesting needing another surgery?

Amy

Hi AmyBL
Congratulations to your son for running a 'marathon', a great accomplishment! I remember my first one - I couldn't even lie down after the event, as my legs were so sore! I had a terrible time for the next week, for being a 'postman' I couldn't bend down to put the mail in the boxes. (LOL)
NO Amy, the Medtronics company makes all types of heart valves and other medical parts. Every year they pick around 20 people from all parts of the world (all expenses paid) to compete in a 'marathon or 10mile race. These people are called 'Medtronics Global Heroes'. It is not just about running, but how your life has 'changed' since your operation. Have a look on their web.
I wish you all the best for your operation, keep positive, and happy.
See Ya
Brian

Lots of good posts here, I had the inflammation problem and like Capizzi I have been looking into gut flora and have gone gone gluten free and taking probiotics and various supplements (will try turmeric now thanks)
I am 44 and have had a aortic tissue valve fitted. There are many things contributing to slow exercise recovery in my opinion. It is a brutal surgery and your gut flora would of been destroyed by antibiotics and my immune system is weak for 18 months, I have built it back up slowly.
I was told yesterday by my cardiologist that the heart is covered on the outside with nerves and these are partly severed and messed with during the surgery, these nerves go all around the body and help regulate heart rate, he told me there is only 4 people in the world that can do a test to see if these have been damaged, and even if they found if they were there is nothing they can do anyway.
Meds can definitely restrict heart rate meaning your max is lower than it should be and very restrictive above certain levels, I am on Candesartan and verapamil and can go to 171 bpm but i'm floored, if I go slowly while running around 145 bpm i can keep going longer but the frustration is that I cannot increase speed and keep hr lower even though I Play football and run 4 times a week.
They say the new heart valve will never be as good as the original was meant to be, so maybe just have to accept certain limitations and do as much as I dare too. He said the heart can take the high heart rate on exercise which is reassuring and gives confidence on pushing a little harder, but you also need to listen to your body and rest when inflammation and pain occur.

peners, I've noticed some restriction on activity post-op as well. Part of my restriction is that after 30+ years of daily running, my knees just won't tolerate the pounding any more. If I run one day, I am in pain for 2 or 3 days. Also, since surgery, I have both a pacemaker to ensure that my heart rate stays above 60 BPM and responds normally to my body's needs, and I also take a beta blocker to keep my heart rate from soaring above safe ranges or into afib territory. The combination keeps me in the range of 60-140 BPM or so, no matter what I'm doing.

I've adjusted my daily exercise routine to now include about 4 miles on a stationary bike, at about 16 MPH, along with "power-walking" another mile on a treadmill inclined at 12-13%, at a pace of about 4.5 MPH. I've managed to continue doing these exercises and my heart rate usually only goes up into the mid-130's. My cardio is OK with this rate, but doesn't want me trying to go higher. I don't think the beta blocker will allow that anyway, even though we have reduced the BB dosage twice over the years.

It all boils down to us simply having to define a new reality, then accepting it, exploiting it, and making the best life we can within our new boundaries.

HI epstns
There is no need to POUND the pavement. If you change your style to shorter steps, land under centre of gravity, lean slightly forward and land on 'ball' of foot, you will glide over the terrain! I think I mentioned this before to you on perhaps another site? I was crippled in both knees (2005), Saw this article in Runners World, sent for book/cd, practiced new style - 8 months later I ran a half marathon (all uphill - to 3800ft!) with no pain. Have ran dozens of races since. Have a look at web site posetech.com. Anything I have said here young fella is only a suggestion.
See Ya
brian

HI epstns
There is no need to POUND the pavement. If you change your style to shorter steps, land under centre of gravity, lean slightly forward and land on 'ball' of foot, you will glide over the terrain! I think I mentioned this before to you on perhaps another site? I was crippled in both knees (2005), Saw this article in Runners World, sent for book/cd, practiced new style - 8 months later I ran a half marathon (all uphill - to 3800ft!) with no pain. Have ran dozens of races since. Have a look at web site posetech.com. Anything I have said here young fella is only a suggestion.
See Ya
brian

Hi, Brian!

I sure don't remember your advice (and given how I loved running, I think I would remember it), so maybe we discussed while I was still in the fog of medication, or something. I will go look at posetech.com soon.

Thanks!

epstns;n860041 said:
Hi, Brian!

I sure don't remember your advice (and given how I loved running, I think I would remember it), so maybe we discussed while I was still in the fog of medication, or something. I will go look at posetech.com soon.

Thanks!

Hi epstns (Steve)
Yes, you could be right, as I have told sooo... many people about changing my style! Got a bad back at present, but when better, will keep training for the 'Metronics 10 mile Global Heroes run in America next year. (if selected)
Keep well
Brian

Latest posts

Back