2 quick questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgilityDog

12 days post surgery, I was looking for some old threads and can't seem to get the search narrowed enough, so I'll just ask the same old questions:

1. What do you suggest I use to remove the sticky stuff left over from the ekg pads and dressings on my IV area? Icky, attract dirt, and the dried stuff irritates my skin. I know there were multiple suggestions at one time.

2. I've got a tiny area of clear serum oozing at the base of my incision. It was sticking to my t-shirt, and just doesn't seem to dry out. I've covered it with a small band-aid (removing most of the sticky area so it's easier to remove later), and will call the doctor tomorrow for a phone consult. I think this is fine, it's not pus-y, just clear serum. I'm also still bridging on lovenox after being dumb enough to take the advice of my discharging nurse practitioner about my dosing. I should take my last shot either tonight or in the morning, once I get theraputic. I figure the lovenox may contribute to the ooze. Opinions?

#1 What works the best for removing the adhesive gunk is http://www.orange-sol.com/medical/index.html we always grab a few wipes at the hospital or his cardiologist if he is getting a monitor but I think some pharmacies carry it I think there are a couple other brands too but theis is what we always used.

#2 Do you have a fever or anything along with the oozing? It may be fine or it could be a problem, so I would get it looked at, its good you are calling tomorrow. When Justin had his infection that morning he was oozing, but it was not pus-y or even opaque like I would have thought and infection would be, it was pretty clear, with a slight tinge of red. IS this new or has it been doing that all along? I would think it its been a few days if it isn't getting to be alot more and your don't have fever or chills ect, it should be a good sign. But infections make me nervous so better to be safe.

I don't think the lovenox would contribute to the ooze. I bled for a few days after I coughed one time too many, but the home health nurse kept an eye on it, and all was ok. I will admit that we did call the hospital in the middle of the night to talk to the surgeon on call, but if you're going to have a phone consult tomorrow, it probably can wait.

It's been going on since Friday. No fevers, no pus. The band aid has helped. I think having it get on the shirt and get ripped open every time I move is contributing.
Incision looks pretty good.
I'll check on the goo-gone stuff, too. Thanks for the link.

All you really need for the goo is some alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and a cotton pad and some willingness to gently rub and kind of peel the stuff away. anyway, if the alcohol doesn't work then you can try the more expensive stuff.

Congrats on a successful surgery! Keep up the great recovery.

Marguerite

The sticky stuff can be softened and removed with simple baby oil, or any kind of oily stuff, even face cream. Apply it and let it sit for a while to soften and then wipe it off and wash the area.

I had my incision oozing a bit too in the beginning right between my breasts at the base of my incision. I was worried about it and called the hospital. They suggested showering and letting the water run over it (not beating directly on it) and then after blotting it dry (with sterile breathable gauze) I covered it to keep the moisture under control(from sweating) . It was difficult for me for they tell you to wear a bra for 24 hours is better yet it did create this issue.. The gauze did stick but a few seconds in the shower and it would fall off. Hope you have some success with getting it back to normal. :)

Laurie,

Great to hear you are on the mend. Can't offer any suggestions for the oozing, but i had a hard time removing the stickies that were left over from my holter. Ended up using the strips from a pet hair roller. It pulled up the residue without sticking too badly to my skin.

Tass

Incision is all dried up now. Pharmacy suggested the alcohol, but I may try cold cream too, instead.
I'd have used paper tape, but this is all goo left from the hospital ekg tags, and the sealer over my IVs, etc. etc.

The goo disturbed me more than almost everything else put together. The goo stuck to my hair and when i turned my head, post op, I could feel it pulling my skull. UGH! I remember, vaguely waking up in ICU and complaining to my daughter about it. They gave me alcohol wipes which did NOTHING. I forgot about it for a few days and then when I finally got a good look in the mirror, I saw the goo. I had DH ask nurse for nail polish remover wipes and they worked like a charm.
My incision leaked too, like a seeping. Was told by home health nurse to use SAF-gel. It is over the counter but may be only available at better pharmacies. Worked great.

Back