1yr AVR + MV Repair

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my surgery. I got a Medtronics Avalus valve and some unexpected work done to repair the Mitral valve (damage they couldn’t see in prior work ups). I will be 59 in July.
Overall things are good. I exercise regularly. One issue I still have is a kind of lag in my heart rate when I initially exert myself. First 2-3 minutes of any cardio activity feel lousy. Also for the first 3-4 months or so after surgery I couldn’t get my heart rate very high and two minute recovery was in single digits. I still max out at around 150 or so and my two minute recovery is still no more than about 30-35 beats. I had higher max heart rate and better recovery numbers in months leading up to surgery.
I still don’t really feel better or more energetic than I did before surgery despite a lot more exercise. I’m not on meds other than baby aspirin. I did not have an issue with blockages.
Hoping things will continue to improve in terms of fitness and energy. I’m thinking of trying some HIT to give my system a wake up call.
All in all I really shouldn’t complain given alternative…

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my surgery. I got a Medtronics Avalus valve and some unexpected work done to repair the Mitral valve (damage they couldn’t see in prior work ups). I will be 59 in July.
Overall things are good. I exercise regularly. One issue I still have is a kind of lag in my heart rate when I initially exert myself. First 2-3 minutes of any cardio activity feel lousy. Also for the first 3-4 months or so after surgery I couldn’t get my heart rate very high and two minute recovery was in single digits. I still max out at around 150 or so and my two minute recovery is still no more than about 30-35 beats. I had higher max heart rate and better recovery numbers in months leading up to surgery.
I still don’t really feel better or more energetic than I did before surgery despite a lot more exercise. I’m not on meds other than baby aspirin. I did not have an issue with blockages.
Hoping things will continue to improve in terms of fitness and energy. I’m thinking of trying some HIT to give my system a wake up call.

Congrats on your one year anniversary! I hope that you're able to resolve your fitness and energy issues.
I’m thinking of trying some HIT to give my system a wake up call.
That sounds like a good idea. Please keep us posted on how that goes for you.

Happy to hear you are now one year out. Hope you soon get that boost and exercise high that you deserve. Congrats!

Thanks guys! Had some blood work done and was still a little anemic and liver numbers also a bit off…maybe drinking too much beer and wine! Otherwise all good and the doc seemed pleased.

Just an update for folks interested in how things progress…one year and five months out I’m able to run faster and longer than prior to surgery, rate recovery still improving. I think the initial lag when commencing exercise is getting better as well. So for those impatient for recovery know it can take quite awhile. Consistent exercise also helps and changing it up (varying) helps even more.

Happy anniversary. Sounds encouraging. 3 days to my mitral repair and maze procedure.

Latest posts

Back