1st run post op

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bugchucker

OK, I ran for the first time in cardiac rehab yesterday, it was hell. I ran a 12-minute mile pace for about 5 minutes and was whipped. I ran out doors today with my fancy new GPS heart monitor. I ran/walked 2.18 miles in 32 min 15 sec. I found that I could only run about .25 miles before I was winded and had to walk. It seems that 135 is about my peak heart rate before having to walk. I found that I would recover quickly back down to 105-110 while walking...

I was running about 5 miles/day at a 9 minute mile pace pre-surgery. Granted the weather was much different (~60 F), now its in the 80's with almost 0% humidity. My surgery was about 5.5 weeks ago. I am grateful they did not have to spread my ashes, I just thought I would have more stamina by now. I also realize that everyone recovers differently and that I probably am trying to push too hard right now, but any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Oh yeah, I remember my first post-op run like it was yesterday. I waited 6 weeks to the day. In fact it was more than 17 years ago. I don't think I made it 100 meters before I had to stop and walk. What my pace was that day I have no idea. I thought I was going to die but since I didn't I tried it again and again.

There was no one as far as I knew who had ever run again after AVR, so I was an experiment of one. It turned out I had one lung collapsed during surgery which made it doubly difficult to get it back. But if there's one thing I am, it's determined. It took about 6 more weeks to run a whole mile.

I've said it a dozen times before on here, but you're new, so I can repeat myself. There were no internet forums such as this back then. The WWW had not even been invented yet, so I had no one else to turn to. I just decided to go for it. Today you have a sounding board and others who've been down this path. It won't be easy for you but everyone here does understand.

Thanks Sumo. One thing I forgot to mention is that I also noticed that I would get the chills and the hair on my arms would stand up when I paused to walk?!?

I too am very determined. I was not a big runner prior to surgery, but now that's all I can think about. Thinking of doing some 5 K, 10 K runs perhaps in the fall.

my 5K times
1990, age 42, One year prior, 21:36
1992, age 44, One year post, 25:24

I never tried to train hard again after the surgery, plus there was a large weight difference between them too. I gained maybe 15-20 lbs.

Jack

Good for you and congratulations for doing it. Frankly, I wouldn't worry too much about your pace at this point. I think if you slow down a little you'll be able to make it further before walking. It's also a better way of building your endurance.

OK, I ran for the first time in cardiac rehab yesterday, it was hell. I ran a 12-minute mile pace for about 5 minutes and was whipped. I ran out doors today with my fancy new GPS heart monitor. I ran/walked 2.18 miles in 32 min 15 sec. I found that I could only run about .25 miles before I was winded and had to walk. It seems that 135 is about my peak heart rate before having to walk. I found that I would recover quickly back down to 105-110 while walking......

i usually cut down the posts instead of quoting the whole deal, but this
one is like too cool. i mean holy crap on a crap cracker, batman!!:eek:

i did my first runs, 3 x 600m, at one month. really slow to keep the heart
rate down. lots of warm up/cool down walking, as well as a lap or two
between each 'sprint.' your cool down rate is similar to mine back then,
and i would hit 140+ by the time i reached 600m, so would stop.

progressed pretty quickly, able to run half mile in 4:45 at five weeks, bicycle
100 miles at 10 weeks, five miles at three months, and ran a 10km at 14
weeks.

i'd go easy on the running, maybe cut down some for a week or so.
instead go for long walks. by "long" i mean 5 miles, 10 miles, whatever is
comfortable. carry a cell phone and water, and follow a bus line if possible.

the important thing now is to listen to your body. aches and pains will tell
you when you're overdoing it. the chills and scooby doo hair might be telling
you something. could be related to dehydration or low blood pressure.

if you don't overdo it, you should have no problem doing 10k's in the fall.
my plans are to cycle from china to thailand in july (at five months), and
possibly run a marathon in december (11 months).

OK, I ran for the first time in cardiac rehab yesterday, it was hell.
No surprise to me. Valve surgery is is a huge insult. Anemia from blood loss and destruction of RBC's on the bypass machine, trauma to the heart muscle, probably some lung collapse during surgery...just hang in there, it WILL get better and it WILL take time. Trying to push yourself harder won't do any good untill you recover more. Are you on any meds like a beta blocker or ACE inhibitor? Adding those to a post-op engine will have a marked effect until your heart gets reconditioned (some effect after that too, but not so dramatic).

now its in the 80's with almost 0% humidity

So any perspiration on the skin surface will evaporate instantaneously and reduce your skin termperature. It's not unusual to be sensitive to temp changes after surgery. If the bumps and chills are transient, I wouldn't be concerned about it.

I too am very determined. I was not a big runner prior to surgery, but now that's all I can think about. Thinking of doing some 5 K, 10 K runs perhaps in the fall.

Yeah! I SO understand that (but can't explain it). Keep thinking, but start planning ;). I had done a few slow short-course triathlons prior to my surgery, after surgery all I could think about was Ironman. I gave in to that obsession and it has opened a whole new world for me. By all means, scratch that running itch, just be patient and don't try to rush yourself. Set realistic intermediate goals for yourself and you will be on your way. And don't be too hard on yourself for the first several months. Recover at a pace that works for you. Everyone is different.

All the best! Keep us updated.

You have heard form some of the best on this forum for running....as you were a runner before surgery, it makes it that much more difficult post op. Your legs will remember your pace, but there is NO way your heart and lungs are ready. Keep plugging away, and remember that recovery is not a linear thing....you will have bad days then a big jump in improvement, then bad days again. It would be a good thing to sign up for a fall race as a goal, and run it for pure enjoyment of being back into running! It will be your POPR (post op personal record)....

we are a day apart on our surgeries and you are doing alot more that I can do... i can only do 20 min on a treadmill at no more that 2mph and then the Nustep machine for 20 minutes at a workout rate of 2.

Thanks Bill. Didn’t really think much about the evaporation, just thought that perhaps something was wrong, because everything is an emergency post op right?

Thanks Tom. I think you may be on to something about my legs remembering…Its really hard for me to run that slow, but the consequences are not fun.

ChouDoufu, you set a really high bar for me to aspire to. My longest walk so far is just shy of 6 miles, but my gut is acting up (I have a bad colon and the Coumadin is causing a lot of bleeding) making it hard to get out and be as active as I’d like.

Jack-
I’m really impressed with your 5k times…I’ll do my best to live up to it.

Laura-
Hang in there. I feel guilty because my recovery has been so smooth and easy. I realize everyone heals differently, just wish it could be this smooth for everyone.

Update-
I walked a ¼ mile today, my final day of cardiac rehab, then jogged a full mile at a 13 minute mile pace, then walked two more. I was sweating badly, got the ticker up to 145 bpm and the nurses were not too concerned because it stayed there. One milestone down!

Thanks everyone for your support!

Bugchucker, congrats on getting out for a run. It will get much better. I saw your age (I am 35) and wanted to comment. I check in on the Active Lifestyles forum from time to time. I am about a year and a half past AVR surgery (On-x mechanical), and was an active but fairly pedestrian runner before my surgery (50min 10K, 2hr 1/2 maraton, high 4hr marathon, etc.) and am now right back where I was pre op. I took it easy for 1 - 2 months then started jogging, ran a comfortable 10K 8 months after surgery (Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta), and ran a 1/2 marathon 11 months after surgery. I have found my times are pretty much the same, perhaps due to the fact that I have lost some weight throughout all of this (a good thing). Pay attention to the heart rate monitor, this is all good data. I do stay away from maxing things out and sprinting, etc., and try to stick with longer runs of at least a few miles. Still no problem to get my heart rate up ato 160 or 170 or so. I usually dont take things much past 170. Anyway, my opinion is that you can absolutely get back to "pretty much" where you were before, and things should definitely improve for you, at least in my experience. Good luck and congratulations again.

Hey Brian-
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm getting bummed out though, I have a bad colon (Crohn's Disease), it was pretty much in remission, but the surgery and coumadin have put me back into a full fledged flare up. Hence I can't get more than 1/4 mile or so from a restroom. My gastro doc is getting it under control, but have not even been able to walk, let alone run for the past couple weeks since rehab ended and have no treadmill...It will get better, 6 more weeks of coumadin...

I thought I was the youngest one around here :).

Hey Bugchucker, I'm impressed with your drive to get back on the road. I want you to know that you're not the only valver runner with Crohn's. My case is mild, and was diagnosed in a round about way. Now, I pay more attention to the digestive process. Bouts with my gut, although infrequent, still happen and seem to be aggravated by stress (good and bad). I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment with my son's wedding, but perhaps we can compare notes at some point.

Back