1st day post

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel1947

went well. could not repair so got a cow valve. leaving CTU already. sat in a chair most of the day. hurts and a little nasuea but glad I'm ready to recover.

Great news, Joel. I'm impressed you cared to post so soon! I didn't give a darn about anything for at least three days. :)

Wishing you well for a speedy recovery Joel. Hope they give you something good for the pain and nausea - ask them - I realise that I should have asked for more or better pain meds but I think we all get a bit stupified by the meds !

Hi jole1947, Glad to see you here on the other side, I'm a bit of a cow too :) Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery and remember to ask for what you need and to take the time to take care of you.

Red

Red;n845111 said:
Hi jole1947, Glad to see you here on the other side, I'm a bit of a cow too :) Hope you have a speedy and uneventful recovery and remember to ask for what you need and to take the time to take care of you.

Red
Hi Gerri - I have just sent you a private message in reply to your reply to me - I never got notified, this new forum is soooo slow and full of problems. Have a look in 'messages', top right of page :)

Thanks everyone. Sorry I have not posted in two weeks, but everything has been going great and I did not want to jinx it. I had surgery on Thurs the 7th. As I mentioned the valve could not be repaired, but everything went well. Out of CCU on Friday. Was able to walk right away and while it hurt, it was not scary hurt, just incisional and rib. Then tubes out and and more activity til Thursday the 14th when I went home.

SInce I got home I have been walking a mile every morning and another in the afternoon. I won't see the surgeon til the 28th, but everything looks good. No swelling nor fever. I am just longing to drive again. I think I am one of the very lucky ones for sure. At the hospital there was another guy who had it easy like I did. But there were a few people who seemed to be having a terrible time. I do not know how much is mental and how much is physical, but I had been running a few miles until just before surgery so was reasonably fit. ANd my attitude was also very good. Very little fear, and a strong desire to just deal with the pain.

I stopped the percoset because they were messing up my digestion and I was afraid they masked the pain and I may accidently hurt myself. I use the pain as a way to not try to do too much. I am taking an ACE inhibitor, a beta blocker and a few random vitamins.

I have the complete surgical reports, but have not dug into them yet. A few questions. Does my heart have to adjust itself to the new hemodynamics? If so, how long does that take?

I want to thank the people on this board again for the support. Don't laugh, but many years ago I learned how to meditate and I think meditation really helped me prepare myself for this surgery. I cannot wait to run and hop on my bike again.

joel1947;n845958 said:
I think I am one of the very lucky ones for sure. At the hospital there was another guy who had it easy like I did. But there were a few people who seemed to be having a terrible time. I do not know how much is mental and how much is physical, but I had been running a few miles until just before surgery so was reasonably fit. ANd my attitude was also very good. Very little fear, and a strong desire to just deal with the pain…..Don't laugh, but many years ago I learned how to meditate and I think meditation really helped me prepare myself for this surgery.
Hi Joel, really good that you are doing so well.

I think its a combination of factors as to how well people do, and luck certainly seems to come into it as you say ! But I don't think it's anything to do with prior mental/psychological attitude, probably very much more to do with individual physiology. I mean, before surgery I was extremely fit and, after I accepted that I couldn't have surgery later in the year when I had wanted it, I was actually looking forward to the 'adventure' of it all ! I also didn't expect any pain to speak of - it really never occurred to me that I'd get any much, and anyway, the hospital had said in their literature that they took great care to control pain for all their patients, so I thought it was a non issue. And then I didn't do so well, lots of pain and I'm still not as fit as I was before surgery. Crazy ! I also meditate !

Wishing you a continued and smooth recovery, and that you're on your bike very soon !

Paleogirl, obviously I cannot say whether mental attitude has anything to do with recovery, and am not sure how to tell. I seem to have lot's of time on my hands :) so I may do some research. I do believe it is possible to control some physiological processes by mental activity, but I have never tried any of that kind of bio feedback. ANd if there was a surefire regime, it would be talked about. It is stupid to suffer pain if it can be removed with drugs, but I do think we can manage pain to some extent without drugs. I have absolutely no education or qualification in this area so am making it all up.

Had my first checkup today. Post 3 weeks. Seems to be going ok. Was told I can drive in two weeks. I have been doing two 30 minute walks and can increase to whatever I feel comfortable with. I have a cardiologist appt. in 2 weeks and hope to learn all is good. I am not worried anymore if the surgery went ok, but am still unsure how much difference it will make when I am healed.

Post 4 weeks. All good. One pesky suture finally disolved and fell out. It was the only one that poked out. So now maybe I can go in a pool. I can walk as much as I have time for, but have not started running or biking. Hope I get cleared for that on my next appt. Some intercostal muscle pain, but pretty good overall. Now to see if all of this was worth it. I expect it will take a few more months before I can really feel like I am recovered. This forum is very valuable.

joel1947;n846612 said:
Post 4 weeks. All good. One pesky suture finally disolved and fell out. It was the only one that poked out.
I had one like that too. It had me scratching my head because my skin was glued together, but apparently there were some sutures in lower layers of tissue. I went to my surgeon's office and a nurse simply plucked it with a tweezer like an errant hair. (Some kind of funny smiley would be right here, if they worked ;-)

Latest posts

Back