19 Years Of St Jude Valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rajeevgoswami

I visited the site after many years. I saw this post. I completed 19 years of my AVR on 8 April with my St Jude valve. Valve is doing very fine. I also had affected mitral valve but surgeon decided not to replace it during the surgery. Mitral valve is fine too a bit increased MR though. I have developed AF so I am on betaloc and diuretics. I will be 62 years in sept. Enjoying my life.

Congratulations on your many years with a St. Jude valve. You're a few years ahead of me, so that gives me confidence I'll match it. I got mine at Brigham & Women's in Boston in 2007 and no problems. I've outlived my surgeon, who told me the valve would last longer than I would.

Thanks Every one for great wishes.
I definitely want to go on for at least 20 more years.
Is there a study some where about the maximum life of mech valves if one keeps INR in check. My doc says it can go forever and will outlive my life.

Is there a study some where about the maximum life of mech valves if one keeps INR in check.
Not that I know of, but reoperation rates are low if you exclude
  • Thrombosis obstruction (always caused by improper INR management)
  • Aneurysm (associated with bicuspid aortic valve)
  • Failure
Failure is so low as to be worthy of a journal article about why.

Assuming you had scarlet fever as the underlying cause for stenosis, the chances of aneurysm are low too.

So keep an eye on your INR and it won't be the valve that is the end of you.

Is there a study some where about the maximum life of mech valves if one keeps INR in check.

The unofficial world record is held by @dick0236 at 55 years and still counting. Dick is a member of this forum.

My doc says it can go forever and will outlive my life.

I'm not so sure about forever- I mean eventually the sun will expand into a red giant and vaporize the Earth, so not forever. But, there's no reason why they could not potentially last 50-100 years, which is forever as far as us humans are concerned. :)

, there's no reason why they could not potentially last 50-100 years, which is forever as far as us humans are concerned. :)
My doctors have told me that there is little reason for mechanical valves to "wear out" and my docs felt my valve will still be clicking when I draw my last breath. My valve was implanted when I was 31 and it will be 55 years old in about three weeks......Aug, 16. Alas, that also means I am naturally getting "old" and at my current age of 86.5 (well beyond life expectancy), I am sure that something, probably Cardiovascular in nature, will "take me out" in the not too distant future.

Also, remember that open heart surgery is a fairly new surgery with the first being a gentleman in 1961 who lived 12 years.......and then died when he fell off a roof doing some repairs. I imagine that Chuck may be "right on" when he projects the life of a mechanical valve to be 100 years.......now we just have to figure out a way for the rest of the body to last that long.

Last edited:
My mitral and aortic valves were replaced with St. Jude mechanicals in 1996 when I was 59. I'm now 85 so that's a mere 26 years. And I thought I was unusual and lucky till I read the posts in this forum.
the internet has some benefits, including the creation of virtual villiages where birds of a feather can flock together.

Here's cheers for the goal of 30!

I visited the site after many years. I saw this post. I completed 19 years of my AVR on 8 April with my St Jude valve. Valve is doing very fine. I also had affected mitral valve but surgeon decided not to replace it during the surgery. Mitral valve is fine too a bit increased MR though. I have developed AF so I am on betaloc and diuretics. I will be 62 years in sept. Enjoying my life.
Congratulations I also have a St Jude but its only just 15 years old.

My mitral and aortic valves were replaced with St. Jude mechanicals in 1996 when I was 59. I'm now 85 so that's a mere 26 years. And I thought I was unusual and lucky till I read the posts in this forum.
the internet has some benefits, including the creation of virtual villiages where birds of a feather can flock together.

Here's cheers for the goal of 30!

The unofficial world record is held by @dick0236 at 55 years and still counting. Dick is a member of this forum.

I'm not so sure about forever- I mean eventually the sun will expand into a red giant and vaporize the Earth, so not forever. But, there's no reason why they could not potentially last 50-100 years, which is forever as far as us humans are concerned. :)
Thanks chuck. 55 years is quite reassuring. By the time valve would be 55 years I would be 98 plus if I am alive till then 😄😄 so no worries.

Latest posts

Back