19 Days to go-the questions begin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarbJean

We live upstate New York, outside of Albany, in La
Time is flying by and Colin's surgery quickly approaches. I know I will have many questions with each new day. Here are two I have right now:
-When we drive home from Hopkins, about a 6 hour drive, should he sit in the back seat to avoid the risk of an airbag going off? If he lays down in the back seat, is there a kind of pillow I should get, or can we just take several regular pillows?
-What kinds of shirts should he have for the hospital? Should I try to find button down pjs or will he be able to get regular tees over his head?
-How should I update people back home? Should I begin a Caring Bridge site?
Thanks all! Barb

During the ride home, be sure to stop regularly to walk a bit. Don't want clots forming in the legs. As for where he should ride, whereever he's comfortable. For a long trip, I would prefer the back seat, but that's me. Take as many pillows and comfy items as possible.

Button down shirts work best. It's very difficult to raise your arms high enough to put on pullovers.

Caringbridge site isn't a half bad idea. Of course, those of us here, you know how to contact.

The other plus of button downs is they can put the lead wires through the openings between the buttons, rather than having to disconnect things or route them through sleeves which can be a pain. The weeks leading up is just the worst. I remember the worries and constant sick feeling. Not eager to have to go through it again. How is Colin handling it?

Becca

Thanks, Ross. You must be up and online pretty early. I was having trouble sleeping thinking of all these things, so I posted pretty early.
Becca, Colin says he is not nervous. Can this be true? He has been seeing his counselor weekly though. I wonder if he is just saying this to keep me calm. He hates when I cry or get anxious, so I think he could be saying it for my benefit. Although, I have been remarkably calm so far. I am even amazed. I think it is easier to deal with the details, like the questions I asked, than with the real issue of the actual surgery. I am just trying not to go there right now.

At least while in the hospital, I doubt he'd be wearing any shirts--it would be the gown (at least that was my experience--never once put on even a t-shirt). Once home, I found loose t-shirts the best. Once he gets home he will probably be able to get them over his head.

I wore a couple of long sleeve shirts and a couple t-shirts with warm-ups in the hospital. I had no problem putting things over my head. I also used slippers to walk in the hall. I used caringbridge to keep most of the people up to date. It was great getting messages from friends.
I was told to ride in the back seat for 6 weeks because of the airbag. I don't know how he can lay down in the car because he will need to use his seat belt.

Debbie

Barb, I, too, didn't have a problem with T-shirts but one of the guys here in VR suggested V-Neck T-shirts. They worked great for me. When I visited my hospital for the Pre-Op, I noticed it was kept very cool so I took my favorite soft clothes and house shoes to wear. After my first shower, I changed into my own clothes and felt much better. As for the drive home, Colin will probably want to sit for awhile and rest at times. A soft pillow to fend off the shoulder strap will probably be very welcome. Barb, Colin may feel like many of us, that surgery is the good thing that is happening. Yes, it is a real concern but nothing like the alternative. Don't spend your time worrying about the surgery which is completely out of your hands. Begin planning for Colin's recovery.

Larry

Larry

I was fine pulling jerseys over my head both my surgeries but in the hospital, it was so much more convenient to wear hospital gowns. They did the laundry. :) There's a pocket on the gown for the monitor and the snaps on the shoulders make for easy access for whatever it is they need to do.

For the ride home, be sure to have a pillow he can place on his chest under the seatbelt. That will make it much more comfortable.
The wait really is the worst.......
Hope you find some fun, relaxing family things to do during these last few weeks.
Best wishes.

Time is flying by and Colin's surgery quickly approaches. I know I will have many questions with each new day. Here are two I have right now:
-When we drive home from Hopkins, about a 6 hour drive, should he sit in the back seat to avoid the risk of an airbag going off? If he lays down in the back seat, is there a kind of pillow I should get, or can we just take several regular pillows?

Grab a cup of coffee, this got long, sorry.
We never drove far home from any of his surgeries, the longest was about an hour and from CHOP was just a 1/2 hour and Justin was QUITE glad to be out of the car then. Since you will be driving so long. Have you considerred spending a couple days in Baltimore after he gets out of the hospital? Just in case some of the speed bumps that often happen the first couple days, don't happen when you are driving in the middle of no where? I would ask the doctors what they prefer their patients who travel do when they are released, go right home or spend a couple days in Baltimore.
You definately will have to stop often to get out walk around ect. (I'm wonderring if it MIGHT be more comfortable to drive 1/2 way then spend the night in a hotel (or friends or family somehere between Hopkins and your home) to break up the trip.
Anyway Justin is 6 foot, (I'm sure Colin is his size or taller) and I don't know what kind of car you have, we had a smallish SUV, after his last couple surgeries. There is no way he could have been comfortable laying down in the back seat, he'd have to be curled up on his side and that sounds painful. What worked best for us, is even normally he feels squished (legs and big feet) sitting in the back seat, I'm 5'3, so we normallly ride with me in the back and him in the front, just because everyone fits better. But on the way home from the hospitals and trips back and forth he was most comfy, in the front passenger seat, reclined back. He had a small pillow in the car to keep between the seatbelt and his incision (throw size we make out of fleece, so he has a brand new clean one for each surgery, we also make one to hug in the hospital, incase the hospital doesn't provide them to their heart surgery patients, actually the last few surgeries we bought brand new "uglydolls" to use each surgery because they were the perfect size and Justin just liked them.) Since the seat was laying back, we weren't too concerned about the airbag going off and he could stretch his legs and sleep and the seatbelt wasn't as tight.. We also got some of those sheepskin shoulder belt covers that make the sealbelt fluffy.

-What kinds of shirts should he have for the hospital? Should I try to find button down pjs or will he be able to get regular tees over his head?

Its personal choice and I would ask Colin what he would prefer, but Justin hates to wear the hospital gowns, and as soon as he is up and walking (usually the next day still in CICU) he likes either sweat pants, or gym shorts and during the day, loose fitting button down soft shirts (short sleeve so they have access to his arms/IVs blood pressure reading ect. He MAY or may not be able to but on Tshirts right away, but we usually take a couple bigger ones that are easier to put on. But really with the lines and wires coming off his chest, we find button down works best, because there is easy access to everything and the wires can go thru the spaces beteween the buttons and they are easy to put on. It really helps to have pockets in either the pants or shirt (Justin finds it more comfy in the pants) to put the little monitor in, but some hospitals have little pouches (like disposable fanny packs) for the telemetry monitor.

Speaking of clothes, I don't know what sleeping arrangements you have, but even when you are just sitting in Colins room, for the most part hospitals and ICUs especially are FREEZING, so take a hoodie or something like that for yourself. When Justin had surgeries in the summer, I would need the hoodie inside and take it off when I'd go outside for some air or to get Justin some food from the carts. (I often joked I felt like a lizzard on a rock trying to get some heat in my body) Which reminds me of another thing, most hospital blankets are pretty useless as far as keeping you warm or feeling nice. We take Justin (and me since I sleep in his room) a NEW fleece blanket, to use in the hospital (funny we make sure to always get brand new things and Justin is the one that got a bad infection, well not funny- haha) Since Colin will probably want a blanket in the car ride anyway, you could bring that to his room after he gets settled in after surgery. Now alot of these things are probably over doing it, but we have alot of experience and like to make things as nice as possible for Justin, so he also HATES hospital pillows they usually are plastic type cover because they keep clean easier, but not the most pleasent, so we always take him a pillow. IF you take one, take a couple extra pillow cases, so you can change them often, especially if like most people Colin sweats alot the first few days. Make sure they are not white so they don't get taken away with the hospital laundry. Not that you asked, but just popped in my mind, we usually get some kind of slipper that is an outdoor shoe, like a moccosin, that you can just slip in and out of easily with out bending, tieing ect. They usually have good soles so no slipping and then you can just wear them home instead of putting on sneaks or whatever he normally wears.

I think EVERYONE having surgery or even going to the hospital for a couple days, should have a caringbridge or site like it. It is SOOO much easier on you. When Justin had his first surgeries we didn't even have cell phones and the phone was always waking him, with people meaning well calling to see how things are. Cells phones were an improvement (even if you have to leave the unit to use them, it depends on the hospital) but I still had to spend WAY too much time I could be helping Justin, calling everyone with updates (and you always forgot someone ) and the phone in his room was still ringing all the time, usually when he (or I) was napping.
His last few surgeries we had his caringbridge page, it was SOOO much better. Before he went in I emailed everyone a link to his page and told them I would be updating it often thru out the surgery and thru out his stay (and first couple weeks) and they could just check there (the newer version will send an email each time you update if the person wants to get them, so they don't have to keep checking to see if there is an update.) and mentioned there was a guestbook and we really enjoyed reading and rereading the messages people left us. We also had small cards that we typed "Justin's updates" and the URL on, so people who we didn't have their email address but asked about Justin (co-workers ect) we could just give the card (since it was a little tough trying to say and have them remember www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw We even have some older relatives who don't use computer (i know shocks me too) and I would ask someone else to call them with the new updates, so I didn't HAVE to call anyone, and it freed up my time to walk with Justin or just help him with small things. Best of all the phone in his room rarely rang. Most hospitals (I believe) have computers in the family room for the patient /families to use that are great for during the surgery, but if you have one, it is really nice to have a laptop so you (and Colin) can do updates right from his room. I think most hospitals have WIFI all over now, but you can find out, or just take some cords incase you need to plug the laptop in since some have the little computer jacks (forget what they are called) in each room if they don't have wifi
Something I didn't think of before surgery, but really appreciated after, that was another good thing about the site, is Hospital stays tend to become a big blurr in your mind, especially if you have a couple, and it is hard to remember exactly what happend when ect. With the caringbridge site we can go back and reread if we have to find something out, and it is nice to be able to, even now, give the link so people can read, what Justin's surgeries were like, when he could do certain things ect just to get an idea of the process
Speaking of Caringbridge and looking things up, back to the traveling. I knew Justin went to Cooperstown shortly after his last surgery ,it was his big goal he worked hard so he could make it. That is a little shorter than the trip you have (we live outside philly in NJ) but I couldn't remember when, so I just checked his page. Now remember, this was the surgery where he had surgery June 19th, was home 3 days later and was readmitted and had a big surgery for an infection on the 29th that involved moving his pec muscle to wrap around his sternum. He was released 7/7 so was a little more wiped out than after the more "normal" surgery. They drove to Cooperstown on the 7/27 For Cal's Induction that was 1 month to the day of his 2nd surgery, 7/29. They drove about 3 1/2 hours to my parents in the Poconos, spent the night and drove the rest of the way (another 1 1/2 -2 hours) on the 28th. This was about 4 weeks after surgery, 3 weeks after discharge and they said he COULD have made the whole trip, but Justin was pretty happy to be out of the car at my parents and if they did the whole way, he would have been pretty sore and wiped out. Now of course as with everything, each person and each recovery for that person is different, but Justin was 19 and in good shape going into surgery.

Thanks all! Barb

IF you have any questions, feel free to pm or email me sorry this is so hard to read, I stink at computer stuff, let me see if I can make it better

Last edited:
Barb, it sounds like he's at peace with the surgery, a feeling I know I had and several others have mentioned it too. I think this whole thing is often a lot harder on you - his loved ones - than it is on him... He knows he'll be sleeping through the whole thing, while you'll be in the waiting room worrying. And he's probably read that when he wakes up, while there are some annoying things (breathing tube, bladder cath, constantly being woken up during the night) even that part's not gonna be all that bad. And it seriously isn't. The pain is surprisingly minimal, probably due to the pain killers, but also because you just don't have many nerves in the sternum area. That all probably eases his mind like it did mine, but at the same time makes him sad for what you'll go through in the waiting room. But I do suspect his non-nervous approach is genuine. We all deal with it differently, but he's probably thinking (like many of us) since there's no alternative, might as well just not worry about it and get it over with. I wasn't really even nervous the night before like I thought I'd be. Kept myself busy, which helped, and might help not only him but you as well. There's really no sense worrying, as you've seen from the vast majority on here (even those that were the most scared) it most likely will be almost a big non-event. And he'll be feeling a lot better weeks down the road. That's what you both should focus on - the weeks/months down the road when he'll be all better! I was told to bring a button down shirt to make it easier to get dressed when I went home, but I found I could have easily put a t-shirt on at that time. My arms weren't anywhere near as limited in mobility as I feared - I could do just about anything I wanted except reach way over my head or lift too much weight (including not using my arms to get out of the bed or chair). It was easy to do things just above my head - wash my hair, put a tshirt on/off, etc. But the button down shirt is probably even easier, and esp. if you can find button-down jammies that have a pocket, it gives him a good option to wear the last couple days in the hospital when he may feel like changing out of the hospital clothes (he'll need a pocket to put the portable EKG thing in).

Last edited:
Interestingly enough some of the kids I know with truncus dont' get nervous either. One of them recently had surgery or is going to soon and actually brought up the possibility of not surviving. He would talk about "If I come out of it" and when his parents reminded him that they have excellent docs he said "Well it is open heart surgery". I think he's 8! His parents said he didn't seem scared, just kind of matter of fact I guess. All I know is I would not be calm facing that but I guess everyone is different. It's wonderful that Colin isn't nervous. Whenever I worry I remind myself that worry won't change any outcomes, maybe Colin has already figured that out!

Becca

Thanks to all of you, what a treasure of information you all are. I cannot imagine how I would be feeling if not for all of you on this site. So much better getting info right from the "horse's mouth".
-Larry, like the idea of v-neck shirts and, Andy, think I will get button down pjs. Good idea about pockets too. Was not aware he would have to have something for the EKG thingie.
Also, Andy, interesting how you said it would be easier for him because he would sleep through the first couple of days. I actually overheard him telling someone this. Do you think they could give me general anesthesia so I could too? :)
Lyn, What can I say-you should market yourself as a patient rep for those undergoing OHS. I am going to reread your post and get a couple of those pillows you mention. I did make a Caring Bridge site. I had no idea it would be so easy to do. Also, pillowcases,great idea.
Becca, you are so right about worrying not changing the outcome. I tell myself that too. Night all!

Thanks all! Barb

Barb,

* The last day or two, I wore PJs w/a button-front top. I already have a slight shoulder issue, and that plus the incision would've been too much for a pullover shirt.
* We had a four hour drive home. The day of my discharge, I wasn't out of there until afternoon. We had already planned to spend the night at the hotel where they had been staying. Smart move! Getting discharged took enough energy for one day.
* We made the trip home over two days, stopping overnight at about the halfway point.. That sounds ridiculously underachieving now, but a couple hours riding in the car was really all I could handle at the time. We didn't make advance reservations, just went until my body started to say "Enough!"
* I rode "shotgun" because it gave me the most adjustability, with room to stretch my legs, and the ability to recline the seat.
* I absolutely agree about a pillow to go between the seatbelt and the chest, and I had a mini-thoracotomy, not a sternotomy!
* YES! Definitely use that CaringBridge site you've got set up. You can update when it works for you, and be available for Colin when he needs you, instead of being constantly answering phone calls and emails.

Hugs and prayers,

Marcia

I'm not a male, but hospital gown it was for me, the first couple of days, then I changed into my own and the button down worked so much better, just make sure you get them bigger and roomy enough because he'll have his drainage bag or bags and the heart monitor and pacer wires, etc. under there. I was so much more comfortable in my own though. I stayed hot, so my pj's were on the thinner side. As far as the drive back, when are you planning on making that trip. Just thought I'd say I only live about 10 miles from our hospital and the drive home I was so nauseous and sick, (motion sickness) I thought I would die. I just made my first trip out yesterday, which was 1 week after the surgery, and I had no nausea, just very tired and I rode around town with a gel pillow from Penney's inbetween me and the seatbelt, in the back seat - because of the airbag in the front. As far as communicating, some hospitals have internet service and some computers set up in waiting room, or you can take your own laptop - If none of that works, perhaps you could designate one person to call a couple of times a day or whatever, and give that person the list of others to contact, whether by computer or phone or whatever to let everyone else know the update. You can ask everyone there preference to be contacted by, internet or phone call from your designated person I guess. I will be glad when it's all over for you all. And oh, if you're making the trip back really soon after he gets out of hospital, I would suggest asking them for something for him to take for the motion sickness, nausea perhaps for the 6 hour drive home, because mine was terrible in only 10 miles, I cannot begin to imagine 6 hours. Blessings to you, take an anti anxiety pill to get through this if you need to. You'll be fine - just remember we're all here cheering you all on. I'll be thinking of your son and you all and praying for you too. Keep us updated as well!

Thanks for your kind words, Angel and Marcia. I am going to shop today and look for big pjs for him. I am also thinking I will stay halfway between on the way home. Maybe we will just stay in New Jersey one night. The doctor wants us to stay in Baltimore for two days after discharge. I better pack alot of clothes. :) Although, the hotel I booked has a laundry room. They are really a wonderful hotel. They have given us a great hospital rate. The room is huge and has a fairly large kitchen. They have a shuttle to take us back and forth to the hospital whenever we want it. Well, out to hit the stores!

Wow, lots of great information here. The two things I would like to stress from my experience is the car ride home and the caringbridge website.

We had a 30 min drive home and it wore me out. Even though I was just sitting there, it was still a lot of stress on the body. It could be that we went home at the end of the day (Surgery was Mon. and we went home on Thurs.) and my body was already tired. 4 hrs might be a stretch.

As far as the caringbridge site, my wife set this up and updated it every few hours the day of surgery. The let people know how I was doing almost real-time, and it kept the phone calls to my wife to a minimum.

Good luck!

Jim

Thanks, Jim. Our ride is actually 6 hours, so I am thinking that will be too long for him. Better stay somewhere and do it in two days. I set up a Caring Bridge site today and Colin has already gotten nice wishes from friends and family. What would we ever do without the internet? Hope your recuperation is going well!

Thanks, Jim. Our ride is actually 6 hours, so I am thinking that will be too long for him. Better stay somewhere and do it in two days. I set up a Caring Bridge site today and Colin has already gotten nice wishes from friends and family. What would we ever do without the internet? Hope your recuperation is going well!

Barb, you could put his site link in your signature, if you want, that makes it easy for people here to find. I think it is a REALLY good idea to make it a 2 day trip. Especially since you have to stop and stretch/walk every so often, what normally takes 6 hours will be even longer.

Last edited:
Good idea, Lyn. As it gets closer, I will add the link. Two weeks from today! Seemed like it was so far away and now it's almost here. I told him he was a lucky guy cause I bought him new tee shirts, lounging pants and pjs. He wasn't impressed. :)

Justin used the surgery to sweet talk me into buying him a pair of UGG slippers he wanted but didn't want to spend HIS money on. He doesn't like PJs, but got a couple lounging pants too

make sure you have comfy clothes too

Back