18th valversary for my bovine valve

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You’re not mistaken. It’s both. TAVR is a special procedure that can only be done with a particular product that is designed to be installed that way. The valve has to be able to be collapsed to thread into place through a blood vessel, then expanded once there.

No mechanical valves can do this yet, and tissue valves that are sutured into place have a hard sewing ring that can’t be collapsed, so open heart is required for those as well.
That helps a lot; thank you for that clarification Superman.

I'm chiming in very late on this, but a big congrats on turning 18! Such wonderful news and may you continue to surpass your cardiologist's expectations. Fantastic.

That is awesome news to here. I have to have my Aortic and Mitral valve replace. I have been leaning toward the tissue valves vs the mechanical valve. Any information and or suggestions you have on the procedure and recoory would be greatly appreciated.
My aortic valve is a St. Jude's leaflet and have had it for 22 years, on warfarin and doing fine. I have yet to be looking at surgery for the mitral valve, they are just watching it closely. On bypass, it was the old crack of the chest and placed on the heart and lung machine. The time was less than it was when I was 8 years old, and it was called a repair with the scrapping of dome of the murmur. Over time, as I grew older, the murmur got worse again, thus the valve replacement. Recovery for the chest takes one years, restrictions are usually for three months for the sternum, one year for the muscles to heal from the trauma of being cut for the surgery. I usually tell those who have the chest crack to exercise by walking to start. You cannot pull on anything like stair railings and such for the first three months. Then you can get the exercises going to get the body build back up on the stamina. That is all I can relate to you. Good luck on your choices and bypass surgery has come a long way these days.

They said it wouldn’t last, but 18 years later my Edwards Magna Perimount is still working well. I was 52 when Dr. Kouchoukos replaced my stenotic aortic valve. There has been little to no change over the years. I hope everyone who undergoes replacement will have the same good fortune.
I too have a Perimount Magna Ease. About 5 years into it. @Duffy, your share was inspiration? a relief? hope-inducing? All of the above.

All: You might find some of the research about magnesium supplementation interesting. Some hope that it might decrease calcification.

Research (found to-date) around magnesium supplementation. Here's a meta-analysis published in AHAjournal, June 2017. Note the passive binding hypothesis... https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/atvbaha.117.309182

And another from BMJ in 2018. https://openheart.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000668

Neither conclusive, and I wish for an RCT, but funding for clinical trial in supplements can be hard to come by. Enough for me to go ahead and move on it until I find contraindications however, from my perspective. And I'm not a supplement nut, quite the opposite. I've experienced no side effects that are noticeable. N=1 ;-)

I'm taking 210mg of Magnesium Citrate BID
YOLO-YMMV-Carpe Diem ;-)

Congratulations! I hope for similar good fortune with my Inspiris Resilia. Installed at 70 yo. Coming up on 1st anniversary.

Is there any correlation between calcification and one's diet? I asked my surgeon this question and he said 'no, there is not'.
I would say yes. I would say that you want to eat at heart healthy diet that would be a low fat low sugar unprocessed Whole Foods plant-based diet. Ala doctor Caldwell esslestyn.. you'd want to keep your weight down exercise take high doses
of statins keep your ldls down to 45 to 55 and do off label PC ks9 to turn back the clock on your LPA number if it's high.)

Congratulations! I hope for similar good fortune with my Inspiris Resilia. Installed at 70 yo. Coming up on 1st anniversary.

Is there any correlation between calcification and one's diet? I asked my surgeon this question and he said 'no, there is not'.

I too have a Perimount Magna Ease. About 5 years into it. @Duffy, your share was inspiration? a relief? hope-inducing? All of the above.

All: You might find some of the research about magnesium supplementation interesting. Some hope that it might decrease calcification.

Research (found to-date) around magnesium supplementation. Here's a meta-analysis published in AHAjournal, June 2017. Note the passive binding hypothesis... https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/atvbaha.117.309182

And another from BMJ in 2018. https://openheart.bmj.com/content/5/1/e000668

Neither conclusive, and I wish for an RCT, but funding for clinical trial in supplements can be hard to come by. Enough for me to go ahead and move on it until I find contraindications however, from my perspective. And I'm not a supplement nut, quite the opposite. I've experienced no side effects that are noticeable. N=1 ;-)

I'm taking 210mg of Magnesium Citrate BID
YOLO-YMMV-Carpe Diem ;-)
That's cool man I've been doing 400 mg of magnesium daily for brain heart hearing and mood regulation health

It's been recommended to me to seriously consider bio because of my 71 years on this planet. But then comes the "they're only good for 5 years", and other negative feedback.

Hi @macdaddy

I have a Mech valve - placed when I was 50. I am extremely happy with the choice I made and have never second guessed it. HOWEVER, if I was 70 years old, there is no question in my mind - NONE - that I would have went with a tissue valve; the Edwards Inspiris Resilia to be specific. In fact, I’m confident that I would have went with the Resilia at 65yo too.

Good Luck and God Bless.

I'm more encouraged every day this thread rolls around. I was supposed to have my aoritc valve replaced in January, but insurance complications with Medicare has forced me to hold off. The catagorized me as "severe" back in July of last year, but other than the tests, I'd never know it. No symptoms whatsoever. I'm turning 72 next month; and I'm opting for bio, just seems like they've made much headway on life cycles for this devices, and I'm mosty drawn to the quick recovery and the fact they can always do a valve in vlave if needed at a later date. Congratulations Duffy, and may there be many, many, more anniversaries in your future.

Back