16 year old BAV (gym)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moe

Hey I am 16 years old have been diagnosed with BAV since I was born. I recently went to my cardiologist for my yearly check up. Before that I haven’t gone in about 2 years. I was in shock for some reason I was always told it was nothing to worry about as a kid. Now I know that I will most likely Probably need surgery in the future if my aneurism reaches above 5mm, its is currently at 3.5. I love going to the gym its like my second home and really helps me a lot physically and mentally. When I told my doctor I go to the gym he told me to not lift more then 50-100 pounds. I personally bench a good 150 (1rpm) weighing around 140 and I am just getting started. I have only been really going at it for the past month and a half (I went 5 months before covid) and the thought of not being able to put my all into it is really bothering me because I just love pushing my self and feeling satisfied after. Im glad I found this website just now and seen people talking about their own experiences. I really feel lost the gym is a passion to me and I am just getting started to achieving a dream physique. Is a 3.5 aneurism really even a big deal to worry about right now?
The doctor also mentioned that It has been the same for 2 years now. I would also love to chat with someone that can answer a few of my question this topic is on my mind everyday now and even in the gym.
Another question I have is that I currently only take protein powder that is all my dad lets me take. I am looking into starting to take pre workout, BCAA, and creatine. Will those have any effect on my condition in any shape or form?

Thank you so much.

Hey
It's late here in Australia, so I'll be brief for now.

Search my profile and you'll see I had my first surgery at about 10, second at about 28 and third at 48 .. No matter what you are worried about it's passable and life goes on.

Just relax, go through the tests and get surgery when it's deemed to be critical.

This will be hard to grasp at your age but everything will come back in time.

Reach out by pm if you feel a chat would help

Best Wishes

Hey
It's late here in Australia, so I'll be brief for now.

Search my profile and you'll see I had my first surgery at about 10, second at about 28 and third at 48 .. No matter what you are worried about it's passable and life goes on.

Just relax, go through the tests and get surgery when it's deemed to be critical.

This will be hard to grasp at your age but everything will come back in time.

Reach out by pm if you feel a chat would help

Best Wishes
Thanks for your response. Yea I tend to overthink things a lot. How are you doing your self, are you planning on a 4th surgery in the future?

I've been told by cardiac recovery nurse that the most risky thing is holding your breath why exerting. If your goal is a "a dream physique" and you want to avoid problems with your aneurism try swimming :)

How are you doing your self, are you planning on a 4th surgery in the future?
I'm doing ok, living a normal life

I like to XC ski and hike too, but haven't been in snow areas for some time now (three years).

Due to the realities of surgeries each successive surgery brings with it additional complexity, and risks from that. My last surgery also did some plumbing reworks, from an aneurysm, which will make any future surgeries on my valve very risky. So I hope not.

Your aneurysm is at a size of watch and monitor, and as your team probably told you can remain there for some years.

My advice to you is to keep going to the gym, but focus on lighter weight higher rep type training. Keep breathing freely during lifts.

Don't get competitive, regard it instead as time for you, time to build endurance and strength. Don't try to transform yourself, but rather develop yourself.

Work on cardiovascular aerobic fitness, cycling is excellent for that.

:)

I'm doing ok, living a normal life

I like to XC ski and hike too, but haven't been in snow areas for some time now (three years).

Due to the realities of surgeries each successive surgery brings with it additional complexity, and risks from that. My last surgery also did some plumbing reworks, from an aneurysm, which will make any future surgeries on my valve very risky. So I hope not.

Your aneurysm is at a size of watch and monitor, and as your team probably told you can remain there for some years.

My advice to you is to keep going to the gym, but focus on lighter weight higher rep type training. Keep breathing freely during lifts.

Don't get competitive, regard it instead as time for you, time to build endurance and strength. Don't try to transform yourself, but rather develop yourself.

Work on cardiovascular aerobic fitness, cycling is excellent for that.

:)

Wouldn’t it be very likely to have a surgery in the future anyway.. Might as well live my life to the fullest until the time comes for the surgery. Is this a bad mentality to go about it?

Wouldn’t it be very likely to have a surgery in the future anyway..
No, why should it be?

I now have a mechanical valve (more durable than my life expectancy) and I've already had my aneurysm replaced with Dacron.

That should make it all done and dusted.

Just make sure you live to be alive and uninjured. Live for now but plan for the future.

Really appreciate your help:) starting to feel more comfortable about my situation. Plus I am really great full honestly. So many people around the world have it much worse with other diseases.

Yeah buddy. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. "ain't nothin but a peanut" This bodybuilding reference might be lost here, but everyone's points are spot on. Live life to the fullest, train smart with weights, and watch as many videos of Ronnie as you can:

Latest posts

Back