13 mile bike ride

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mecretired

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I know that to some of you this may not seem like much, but I am 5 mos post op and did a 13 mile bike ride on Saturday. My oldest son rode with me (he says as a pacer). We finished in 1 hour--and I ride an old 1 speed bike. I have never been a runner or bike rider--my favorite pastime is reading. I did my last (36th) cardiac rehab session today. I did 26 min (246 calories) on the elliptical plus the rest of my workout routine. Those of you who know the elliptical know it is a real workout. Reading about all you runners (and walkers) out there has inspired me. I plan on joining the YMCA tomorrow and getting busy there. Thanks to all of you for the support you have given me.

That's great. I started rehab last week and only can do five minutes very slowly on the elliptical. I usually do 1/2 mile walking on the treadmill, 1.5 miles on the bike, and 10 minutes rowing. I'm at 2 1/2 months so just think of how far you made it! That's fantastic.

That's what this forum is all about. Helping others and getting inspired. The best part is you have a place to come to for questions and advice. Just keep up what you're doing. The commitment becomes a habit and when you miss a day or two, you'll know it and want to get back to the routine. Keep us posted on your progress.

5 mos post op and did a 13 mile bike ride on Saturday. My oldest son rode with me (he says as a pacer). We finished in 1 hour--and I ride an old 1 speed bike. I have never been a runner or bike rider--my favorite pastime is reading. I did my last (36th) cardiac rehab session today. I did 26 min (246 calories) on the elliptical plus the rest of my workout routine. Those of you who know the elliptical know it is a real workout. Reading about all you runners (and walkers) out there has inspired me. I plan on joining the YMCA tomorrow and getting busy there. Thanks to all of you for the support you have given me.

Congratulations! No matter what the activity, the fact that we can all do what we enjoy is what is important.

I joined the YMCA last year when my husband deployed. Monthly fees are about $70 for couples. They have locker rooms, pool, sauna, great workout equipment, elipticals, treadmills, stationary bikes. They have free weights and bench press stuff, anything your heart desires to get a good workout.

Most of the Ys have classes too if you like group exercise to keep you motivated in the beginning. If your Y is set up like the one I go to, you'll love it and it's a lot cheaper than Gold's Gym and the other places, no contracts. I also have the flexibility to go to any YMCA branch in my area as there are several.

YMCA in Hays County, TX

Thirteen miles is pretty darn good for 5 months post op. Shoot, I'm 5 years out, and I'd be happy with 13 miles! Any chance you rode the Katy Trail? Our son and his wife live in Fayette and they ride the trail alot.
Congrats on your last cardiac rehab session!:smile2:

Duffey: My 13 mile ride was not on the Katy Trail, but I did an 11 mile ride several weeks ago on the Katy Trail from Columbia to a tiny town on the MO River called McBain. The Katy Trail is just beautiful and a great place to ride.

Great job! Keep posting your accomplishments, it can help others get started just as others helped you!

Back