12 months tomorrow

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil

Hi All,

It's the 12 month anniversary tomorrow for my mechanical valve.

I feel great, have adapted to warfarin with no bother whatsoever and my valve beats so quietly I rarely hear it. So all up it couldn't be better.

I saw my surgeon last week and he has cut me loose - he doesn't want to see me again, as touch wood, I won't need further surgeries - three is enough.

I felt a little odd saying good bye as he has been part of my health care landscape for many years, but as he said, I've had a curative procedure which should last a life time baring bad luck, such as endocarditis (which I've had once and never want to get again).

I suspect I won't be checking in on AVR forum as much from now on - so to all who have provided support to me along my journey - thank you. And to all those who are beginning on this road - the best of luck and every success to you.

Cheers.

Phil.

Such a good thing to read of another good outcome; I add each and every one of these to my mental file and they build me up a little more with each success I read about. I am very happy for you!
Please try to stop in from time to time... posts like yours are what is getting me through everything as I wait for my surgery (this Thursday 5/29 - gulp!)
It has been so beneficial for me to read of the positives and people's experiences, yours included, and I know it has to be helpful and hopeful to others as well.
Enjoy each and every day. They are all such a gift.

Thanks Beeknees.

I hope your surgery is as sweet as honey and you are buzzing around in no time!

I'll keep an eye out for your posts.

All the best.

Phil.

Hi Phil,

Glad everything went well for you and now fully recovered, I am also just over 1 year since life saving op (April 2013) and fully recovered, I had Endocarditis only discovered during valve replacement operation which was unknown to me or surgeon before surgery, I had to have 6 weeks of antibiotics via drip every 4 hours, lost my voice for 3 months and ability to swallow liquid without thickeners, which was a very difficult time, but now back to as near normal as before (if I ever was normal!).

Like BeesKnees above I got great support from letters like yours and others from this site when I was at my worst before and after surgery.

Best of luck in future and hope all goes well for you.

By the way I see you are from Melbourne, my son now lives there, he works for a company called Active Tree Services, and he’s an arborist, clearing trees from overhead electric lines in and around the city, I’ve not been to Melbourne but he lives in the old Commonwealth games village in Parkville.

Best wishes
Phil

Hi Owenell,

Parkville is a 10 minute walk from my office and where I had my surgeries.

I come to London each year and will be there in August and September - last year I didn't travel because of my surgery, so I'm hanging out to be back this year.

I home monitor warfarin, but if I needed to be lab tested when away can you please advise me where I need to go and do I need a referall?

I'm glad you are fully recovered. Endocarditis is dreadfull. As I said in my earlier post I never want to get it again.

Stay well - I hope you are starting to get some sunshine.

Cheers.

Phil.

(I home monitor warfarin, but if I needed to be lab tested when away can you please advise me where I need to go and do I need a referall?)

Hi Phil,
In my case I go to the local hospital for INR test about every 4 weeks and receive a letter from the warfarin people 2 days later with the result and my dose for the next month or so.
I would imagine not being resident, you would have to get a referall from a local GP in England before having a blood test, either at his surgery or the local hospital, not sure how you would get your warfarin unless you bring enough to last the time in England, perhaps your own GP in Melbourne could give you some advice, as you wouldn't be the 1st person on warfarin to travel abroad.
hope this helps,
Best Wishes,
Phil

Back