12 days to go Holy Moley!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Thief

I'm gettin the jitters! November 25th is coming up fast! I had my first Pre-Op appointment yesterday. I got those huge antimicrobial wipes to wipe myself down the night before. I'm so excited, so full of mixed feelings. I'm definitely still nervous and scared, but also REALLY looking forward to putting this behind me! I learned that my blood type is A pos. I also learned that my aortic root is fine, so that will remain intact (along with coronary arteries, while the valve and ascending aorta will be replaced. This means that the coronary arteries do not need to be reattached. I think this makes the surgery a bit simpler. Also, I met with my cardiologist last week. Allot of what my surgeon said contradicted what my cardiologist said. The difference in understanding and opinions is huge between doctors!

I teach 8th grade science. In my 2nd period class a student walked up to me and she said, "Mr. DiLemme..." and she gave me a hug.

I almost lost it. The support that I've been receiving from my friends, family, and even students is stellar.

Still blogging to vent: http://robovalve.wordpress.com/

You're in the home stretch now. It'll be over before you know it.

Hang in there! Everyone is different, but when I got to the hospital on the day of my surgery I was sort of "calmly excited" if that makes sense - the thought of finally getting this thing done was a relief. Couldn't wait to pop out the other side. Sounds like you have a good support network...and you'll have a great story to share with your students. And when you do come out the other side, there will be good days and bad days as so many people here have said. When things were a bit rough afterwards, I just kept telling myself to "get through this next little while and tough it out" and life will be so much better. And I can tell you every day is a better than the last.
T

Sounds like your surgery will be a piece of cake. It's hard to imagine but this is routine for the surgical team. My surgeon does over 60 similar operations per year. You'll be back biking and climbing before you know it.

Holy Moly indeed, but you will be fine. I had what you are having done, plus an ablation, 25 weeks ago and feel terrific. Leading up to the surgery the overriding feeling I had was one of excitement. I just wanted it over and wanted to feel well again. It was my third surgery so I knew the ropes which maybe made it easier. Good luck to you - based on my experience you will be ready to rock and roll in no time at all.

All the best.

Phil.

holy moley indeed! 12 days now for me too, slightly anxious, but totally excited!! Have you got yourself a cuddle pillow? Are you packed? Loving the blog updates too :) i'll be thinking of you as I go in for my pre-admission!

Haha I never pack ahead of time! I procrastinate. I also pack light. I need to get a good book. Can I bring my bike? I dont have a cuddle pillow....

You'll do great! When you wake up from your surgery you will realize that you now on the other side. That was such a motivating feeling, to finally get this thing over with. God bless you, you will do great!!!

No bike, but a cuddle-buddy for when you sneeze/cough. I suppose you could substitute this with a towel, blanket, but i decided on "Piggy the Pillow"...

Got an iPad? load it with movies and TV shows (and books)... and... BREATHE :)

Looking forward to those post-surgery blog updates.

After a month of postponements I'm going in on Nov. 22, unless it gets put off again. The last four weeks have been at the least very stressful but despite my fears I'm looking forward to getting it over with. I wish you all the best off luck and a speedy recovery.

We all know what you're going through and believe me, staying calm and relaxed is easier said than done. I can tell you from my surgery, that the worrying and stressing I did prior was a waste of time. The surgery was over in a flash and the recovery was not as bad as I had thought. My surgeon, and the post op medical staff, were absolutely awesome! Honestly, I think our loved ones have it the toughest - waiting for us to come out of surgery.
I pray the Lord will give peace and reassurance before the surgery and your recovery is quick.
Please keep us posted on how things go when you have a chance.

Just wanted to wish you the very best with your surgery tomorrow. I pray everything goes as planned. Will be watching the board for updates when you're ready!

Godspeed!

Thinking about you Thief!

Thinking about you Thief!

I'm gettin the jitters! November 25th is coming up fast! I had my first Pre-Op appointment yesterday. I got those huge antimicrobial wipes to wipe myself down the night before. I'm so excited, so full of mixed feelings. I'm definitely still nervous and scared, but also REALLY looking forward to putting this behind me! I learned that my blood type is A pos. I also learned that my aortic root is fine, so that will remain intact (along with coronary arteries, while the valve and ascending aorta will be replaced. This means that the coronary arteries do not need to be reattached. I think this makes the surgery a bit simpler. Also, I met with my cardiologist last week. Allot of what my surgeon said contradicted what my cardiologist said. The difference in understanding and opinions is huge between doctors!

I teach 8th grade science. In my 2nd period class a student walked up to me and she said, "Mr. DiLemme..." and she gave me a hug.

I almost lost it. The support that I've been receiving from my friends, family, and even students is stellar.

Still blogging to vent: http://robovalve.wordpress.com/

Thief, I am new to the valve replacement world. I just found out my diagnosis in August . 4.2-4.5 aortic valve enlargement, (aneuryism I know this). Bicuspid valve. I am thinking about you, and I love your upbeat attitude. I have learned from this forum that support is there just waiting to be asked for, or needed. 57 years old.

I offer my sincere hope and prayers go to you and yours. Your students will have you back soon, and they obviously will be your inspiration. Everyone needs that.

Hope you feel like posting soon. That will start that steady stream of positive energy from the group I have observed.

Latest posts

Back