11 years with tissue valve. Anyone longer?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I received an aortic homograft valve replacement 17.5 years ago at age 45, but now I have severe regurgitation and am going to have my second OHS soon. It was great the first 14 years or so, but I have had slowly progressive loss of exercise tolerance over the past few years. I climbed Mount Rainier 4 times with the homograft, but now become short of breath climbing a flight of stairs. I am opting for a mechanical valve this second time around to hopefully avoid a third OHS in the future. I also want to avoid this pre-replacement loss of energy for several years ago before another replacement.

Nocturne;n869680 said:
Arnold Schwarzenegger had a bioprosthetic valve put in back in 1997 -- does he still have the same one?

Apparently he does. He had a homograft and it is still going twenty years later.

Nocturne;n872077 said:
Apparently he does. He had a homograft and it is still going twenty years later.

I wonder if this one is a heavy duty model. IIRC, he went back to heavy lifting too soon after his surgery and damaged the original replacement. He had a second replacement shortly thereafter, and that would be the one he now has. He must have learned his lesson well.

Back