11 years with tissue valve. Anyone longer?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBig

Had my aortic valve replaced at age 49 with a CE bovine valve in 2005 . Just had my yearly echo and cardio said the valve is still opening and closing properly and is not even close to wearing out. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who had a tissue valve last longer.

My homograft was implanted 12.5 years ago at one month past my 31st birthday. I'm now getting into the replacement time / window. I've been seeing my surgeon every six months for the past 18. I see him again this coming Nov. to see if it's time. My valve area is .9; but, the mean pressure gradient has been in the moderate range. It goes up every six months and seems to be following the normal trajectory for how these things go. It was just under the severe range back in May so I won't be surprised if it's in the severe category when I visit him in Nov.

Hello there,

I have an 18 year old porcine valve (inside a conduit from my LV to PA). I am really hoping it lasts to the 20 year mark or more!

Arnold Schwarzenegger had a bioprosthetic valve put in back in 1997 -- does he still have the same one?

6 for Sarah;n869629 said:
Human tissue aortic valve repalced in Aug. 2004 when I was 30 years old, 12 years ago. Its failing now with mod-severe regurgitation.

Same for me, Sarah. I got mine 1 month after my 31st birthday in 2004 and I've been on the let's see in six months plan for 2 years now.

just an update, I was talking to somebody on another heart zipper forum who had had theres 14 year and its still going strong, it would seem the 2nd generation tissue valves are hopfully gonna last longer, all good news imo

neil;n870203 said:
just an update, I was talking to somebody on another heart zipper forum who had had theres 14 year and its still going strong, it would seem the 2nd generation tissue valves are hopfully gonna last longer, all good news imo

Yes - and the current valves (like mine, 5 1/2 years old) are now the THIRD generation, and are expected to last even longer.

Long may they flap!

MOO!

My mom got her oinker valve plus triple bypass in 2005 at age 64. She had an echo today and it is still going strong-yay! Love to hear others with this success!!

Update - I met with my surgeon the week after Thanksgiving and things are still going well. I've been getting checkups every six months for the past two years and my valve is still doing its job. 03/19/17 will be 13 years since I had AVR. I'm quite pleased.

Hi Lisa2. That's great news. Would you mind telling me how old you were when you got it? I am 43, and need AVR surgery very soon. Still weighing my options.

the tissue valves seem to be getting good raps atm, mines 9 and still honking away. as I said people who I know on other sites are going strong after 12,13 years, this is all good news

Juliemoon;n870970 said:
Hi Lisa2. That's great news. Would you mind telling me how old you were when you got it? I am 43, and need AVR surgery very soon. Still weighing my options.
Julie, I was 31. I just typed a long reply to your private message and I was logged out for inactivity before I could "post" the reply. I will message you again later.

Lisa2;n870978 said:
Julie, I was 31. I just typed a long reply to your private message and I was logged out for inactivity before I could "post" the reply. I will message you again later.

Oh no! Well,thanks Lisa, I really appreciate you responding. I am just seeing your post with your age at the beginning of the thread. Don't know why I didn't see it before.

Latest posts

Back