10-Year AVR Anniversary

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine susan

:D Wow! I just recently had my 10-year anniversary of my "association" with my then shiny new St. Judes aortic valve due to a bicuspid congenital heart defect (that took 50 years to detect..ahem!). It HAS been a good ride!

If anyone reads this and for those of you facing this surgery, do not be disheartened. There can be problems, but it can also be quite problem free. During this time, I haven't changed anything really. I eat what I want (well, I don't worry about the coumadin affect anyway) and my INR is checked monthly. I very rarely waver from the appropriate range. Due to insurance issues, I had to change from Coumadin to Warfarin and never skipped a beat...no issues at all. And I had heard stories...

I work very hard and long hours in what has become a very stressful career---banking! I exercise as best I can, but not routinely as time is limited.

I have basically had no issues or heart-related illnesses in these past 10 years. I do have some mitral valve leakage, but my cardio says that right now the surgery presents more risk than the leakage. So I will sit tight.

I AM ten years older and do tire more easily but don't consider that heart related....I do enough to tire out a much younger person.

I have wondered numerous times had I chosen a tissue valve, would I now be marking time to another surgery (or would I already have had one). I am glad I chose mechanical so I don't have to think about that. "Blood thinners" and all that goes with it is no big deal, especially compared to a second surgery. I have learned from this web-site low these 10 years that second surgeries aren't the breeze first ones can be.

If this post has helped someone (even one) trudge forward or eased someone's fears, then it was worth the time it has taken. Yes, open heart surgery is scary and not to be taken lightly. But it doesn't have to be feared...it can create wonderful New Beginnings.

To all those waiting, relax...you will do fine. Take it easy, and don't try to do too much too soon. And stay in touch at this website...it has it all. Hank and Ross and all the contributors are wonderful! Good luck to you all!

Blessings, Sue:)

Congratulations on your 10th Valversary!!!!

May you have many many more!

What an awesome post.

It gives me hope and makes me feel better as it's been a little bit of a rough week for me this 3rd week post op.

I am so glad I went mechanical as I can't ever imagine another OHS. The more I read I don't think I'd want to think about a 2nd or 3rd surgery.

The ticking of my St. Jude's drives me a little batty at night, but I love knowing it's ticking just fine.

The coumadin has not been an issue so far and I hope it continues.

Congratulations and thanks for the encouragement "Sunshine". That your are.

Vincent BAVR Dec 2008, ON-X and conduit.

10 yrs.

10 yrs.

Absolutely wonderful. I have had questions about the long term durability of mechanical valves. Mine is two years old now and now I can plan on at least a few more. Congrats to you and many more too.

What an awesome post.
The ticking of my St. Jude's drives me a little batty at night, but I love knowing it's ticking just fine.

Amen to the above.

Congratulations Susan! I am sure your post will be an encouagement to many others including myself. At least we have been given a second chance :).

Karl

Congratulations Susan! Here is to many more.

I hear you. My body is in overdrive most days. Amazed how much my bod can handle. I do get tired. But like you mentioned, anyone would feel it after extended amounts of activity.

Just passed my 10 year on 3.17! Hoping to get another 15-20 on my current VR:)

Back