10 months since surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmyk

It been 10 months since having my aortic valve changed to a mechanical one. Aortic stenosis ,runs in my family. Unfortunately my dad died of this condition . He opted not to have the surgery.
Anyway, I haven't been on the forum for a while. Life after surgery has led to depression. The neumerous medications, cause me to sleep half the day. The Metoporol has been cut in half from 100 mg twice a day to 50 mg twice a day. It hasn't made much of a difference . I've worked one job since surgery and had a very hard time at it.
Being a construction worker for the last 30 years, it's hard to believe that I can't do some very simple tasks. I was in the nuclear power generation field, working as a industrial electrician.
I just turned 53 and feel like 73, ive put on 50 lbs in the past 10 months.
For the last couple of days, ive been trying to move around a little and get excercise, thinking it may lift my spirits.
My goal is to get back in shape, and get back to work...
i do have one question if I may, It seems like everything that I used to eat or drink has some type of interaction with warfarin .
I'm trying to find a protein powder that I can make shakes with, that is Warfarin friendly... Thanks

Sorry to hear of your struggles

Are you sure they have interactions with Warfarin, or you've just reread they"may"
Are you a self tester?

So long as you test regularly and adjust your dose as appropriate, you should not be having that much difficulty with finding things to eat. I'm the least picky eater in my family and have far more variety in my diet than anyone else in my house. I test weekly, but even prior to home testing, I never put much thought into what I ate so long as I got to the lab regularly and was in range.

I've been on Warfarin 27 years. I don't do protein powder, for no particular reason - just never felt the urge. I would assume as long as you are consistent with your consumption and continue to test regularly, just about any one of them would be okay.

Sorry about the depression and good luck in your efforts to lose weight. That, alone, should help with many struggles.

I was originally on 25 mg of Metoporol twice a day but felt out of it, for lack of a better term. I contacted the cardio and he said I can take 25 mgs once a day, which I've been doing since my second week of recovery. Now, my heart rate is a bit high (usually over 100 resting) so my PCP and I discussed my taking 12-1/2 twice daily, and she is to write me a script for that. I will run the change by my cardio to be sure it's OK with him but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Point of this is that -- to me -- 50 mg twice a day seem high. You may want to ask your cardio whether another adjustment is in order. I also wonder if you might benefit from taking Lasix (water pill) on occasion. I was instructed to take one when my weight gain was 2 lbs or more from one day to the next. Of course a 50 lb. weight cannot be attributed to water, but if your retaining fluid it will make it more difficult for your body to do some of the things you are accustomed to doing.

Having lived with depression and anxiety nearly all my adult life, I understand how debilitating it can be. I have been on meds for over 30 years; for me it's a chemical imbalance. Yours may be situational. If you want to follow up with a mental health expert I recommend a psychiatrist, who is up on the lasted medications. I do not recommend getting antidepressants from your GP.

Like Pellicle and Superman, I am so sorry you are struggling in your recovery. Don't hesitate to come here and post. We have all been there and we get it. I am sending positive energy your way.

Hugs,
Michele

Jimmyk

I just wanted to add to what honeyBunny has said here:

honeybunny;n883136 said:
Having lived with depression and anxiety nearly all my adult life, I understand how debilitating it can be. I have been on meds for over 30 years; for me it's a chemical imbalance. Yours may be situational. If you want to follow up with a mental health expert I recommend a psychiatrist, who is up on the lasted medications. I do not recommend getting antidepressants from your GP.

I don't know if you think about the words like this, but Chronic just means "time" and in particular for a long time duration in the medical area. This doesn't mean anything more than it hasn't gone away.

Now like HB (who's situation was a bio-chemical one which is being treated) you may just simply have something attitudinal which eventually became habit. I have a friend who was being treated for depression with the usual "take 3 of these a day and come back and see me in a month" level of care which was resulting in him being more depressed, and gaining weight. To my eyes he was not "depressed" in a medical way but in an attudinal way ... I worked with him in supporting this view for some years (like he's my friend right) and was pleased to find that he kicked the (prescription) drugs and fought it out.

I liken chronic to momentum ... the longer you keep the falling the faster you getsand the momentum means that to slow it down requires an equal pressure the other way. Just like falling we also end up building a maximum velocity which means we can slow it down with less than years of turn around.

Myself after suffering through an extraordinarily difficult year I was fucking sad for a long time. Many of my friends thought I was depressed, and should see a doctor. I rejected this saying that I was sad not depressed, and that sadness was justifiable in some ways.

I was however very cognizant that I needed to not make feeling sad a habit, a new "mind set" ... so I took steps to find beauty where I could and laugh where I could. Even if this only lasted a tiny part of the day. That can be the new beginning to a way into the light.

This is represented by the Chinese Yin and Yang philosophy

260px-Yin_yang.svg.png

I hope you find your way into the light, and like HB says, post here.

​​​​​​​Small steps ... every day ... just make them

Thanks so much for everyone's feedback. I really miss coming on this forum.
I was thinking about what pellicle asked about self testing. I do self test, actually my last test I was .5 low of my range. I have never adjusted my warfarin myself to bring the number up or down, I just wait a week and watch what I eat, and it gets back in range on its own.
Does anyone adjust their own dose? I guess it would take a little practice.

Hi Jimmy,

I am around 10 months post op as well now. I have protein powder daily and once we found my dose I have been stable for the last few months. This is the one I use: https://perfectsports.net/store/diesel/

I have been fortunate to be able to exercise regularly and it's been a big part of my recovery. I do feel it helps with my mood and stress level. It can be difficult to get going but if you get into a routine it does get easier. As long as you are cleared to do so of course :)

Thanks Rob, for the info.
I was cleared for work 6 months ago with no restrictions.
I went right from recovery to work.
this time, I want to get back in shape before going to work. Thanks again

Hi

Jimmyk;n883140 said:
I do self test, actually my last test I was .5 low of my range. I have never adjusted my warfarin myself to bring the number up or down, I just wait a week and watch what I eat, and it gets back in range on its own.

I believe that at least Superman Dick, LondonAndy, Agian and myself fully self manage (meaning test and dose).

I do and have written a lot about this on my blog

http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/search/label/INR

If you start at the oldest posts and work your way through its presented in reverse order (newest first). If you want a hand please contact me and I'd be happy to help

Jimmyk;n883140 said:

pellicle;n883145 said:
Hi
I believe that at least Superman Dick, LondonAndy, Agian and myself fully self manage (meaning test and dose).

You can add me to the list of the self-managed. There's a little bit of a learning curve but you catch on real quick.

Pellicle's Blog has a wealth of information. To be honest I might not have started to self manage without his invaluable writings!

I self dose and manage too.
I find nobody cares about my health more than myself.
you pick it up fast , onwards & upwards Jimmy

Ditto what leadville said,
IMO self management is a no brainer and is the way to be for the modern valver :)

I'm not a warfarin patient, but I can comment about the metoprolol.

Immediately after my valve replacement, I was prescribed metoprolol (extended release variety), 100 mg/day. I felt like I was dragging a sled full of boulders around all day. At first, I attributed the feeling to post-op healing, etc. Due to some surgical complications, I was not cleared to enter cardiac rehab until 3 months post-op. I had been a gym rat prior to surgery, but in rehab it felt like I had back-slid about a century. It was drudgery.

I had a conversation with my cardio and convinced him that we should try reducing my dosage from 100 mg/day to 50 mg/day. This made a remarkable difference, with no unwanted consequences. I stayed at 50 mg/day for a few months, then asked if we could try 25 mg/day. We did, and I have been taking only 25 mg/day for the past 6+ years. The reduced dosage has returned me to about 75% of what I could do pre-op.

Your dosage of 100 mg X2/day seems like a lot. Even 2 @ 50 mg/day is as much as I was taking immediately post-op. Maybe ask your doc if you really need that high a dose and if maybe you can try less to see if it gives you any relief without causing any heart rate or rhythm issues.

Sorry to read about your depression, also. I am chronically depressed most days. Seven months after double bipass and mitral valve replacement. I take 25 metopol twice a day. Had no problem with Warfarin, not on it now. Mainly I was very angry before and after surgery but no more. I was not a content patient and the nurses knew it. They were probably glad when I left. Anyone feel anger at your situation? Meanwhile I am not speaking to my sister who was with me at the hospital. Maybe depression is like the flip side of anger.

Latest posts

Back