10 Month Dr Visit - Hoping for half marathon approval

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronmaninTraining

Next Tuesday I go in for my 10 month visit from surgery. This past week I ran my longest run of 6 miles going to 7 this Saturday and feel great. I am averaging about 20 miles a week.

I am happy to be finally back on track. Between my last visit end of October and February I'm not sure what happened, but I just couldn't get into it. My motivation level was really low and I was worried about every little awkward feeling. I got a really bad cold/flu that I thought was endocritis and moving some concrete bags one week I noticed that I felt dizzy and weird for a couple days. Between the two blood tests and constant blood pressure monitoring I eliminated those concerns. Part of what really helped getting back on track is the pulmonary doctor commenting I gained some weight. Fully dressed I tipped the scale at 197 and I've promised even at 6'1" I would never go over 200. Since that visit in March I'm back to 183 and I feel great. I do hate getting passed running, but I know that my pace is consistent and will only get better.

I am hopeful that my visit next Tuesday will get the okay for a half July 19th and a full marathon in mid September. Have any others been able to get approvals like this a year and a couple months from surgery.

As a side note...On this site I've read many posts that detail depression and heart surgery. I never thought I would experience this, but I will say it is a fact of the surgery especially for someone at 30. For me I never thought the regular checks since I was younger would show a change. When it did change it hit me hard and I being in great shape for the Pittsburgh marathon to doing nothing prior to the surgery. Afterwards I became very motivated, but for some reason I got off track once i left rehab. The constant monitoring at rehab gave me peace of mind. My wife wanted me to talk to someone, however, I believed i could work it out myself. At this point since surgery I feel like i did work things out, but I'm sure it would have helped and gotten me back on track much earlier.

I'm sure you will get approval for whatever training you want to do. Depression and sad feelings are very common and experienced by many. I had many of the same feelings as you after my first surgery. Since surgery #2 I've felt great! Good luck!

I did my first half marathon 8 months post op (with Cardiologist approval) and did not have any issues... I went all out during the race and had a great time. I did get permission to train for a full, but put that on hold to hit the weights for a bit. I have since done 2 full marathons since my surgery and starting to ramp up training for another full this fall.

Good luck! I hate getting passed running too! Just have to be patient and get faster. I was approved for a full marathon 4 years post (second) surgery. It took a long time for me to get into running shape. I've done marathon distance 4 times since then, though, and I have another planned this fall.

I heard a lot about the possibility of depression before my first surgery, but for some reason I was certain that it wouldn't happen to me. It hit me really hard, a few weeks into recovery at home. It's been a recurring battle since then, but staying active (running and cycling for me) is the best treatment I've found.

Latest posts

Back