10 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dreamy885;n876575 said:
I'm two day 's post op....They say I'm doing really well, just walked a really long hallway and I'm starting to get my appetite back. I've been using my spirometer a lot, as bad as it hurts

Sounds like you are doing well, that's excellent :)

Take it slow and small steps every day towards recovery

Thats great to see you are on the other side and on the mend , the last few days will soon be a week ago and then two, onwards, all the best!!!!

I apologize that I didn't get back on here, the keyboard on my phone was being a pain (hence the misspellings.) Anyway, I was released yesterday afternoon, I just had to get my INR checked today and will fire the next two days for sure. They want me between 2.5 and 3.5. Surgery was Friday (they gave me 5mg but I don't recall my INR) and on Saturday my INR was 1.7(took 5mg), Sunday 1.9(took 5mg), Monday 2.9(took 2), Tuesday 3.5(took 1)and today 3.6 and I'll take 1mg tonight.
The surgeon made an executive decision to go ahead and fix the mitral to avoid two mechanical valves. It's not perfect though, there is still regurgitation :( Trying to not think about that. The strong pulse and ticking are annoying but I still would've taken this over tissue (at my age), and to think I was anti-mechanical just a month ago. They said ohs is harder in younger patients because they have more muscle tone, either way, I never want to do this again!
I'm doing really good during the day; walking, drinking water, eating, resting. Nights are bad. I'm getting horrible headaches (I'm not on any narcotics, just Tylenol), horrible nightmares and hot flashes. I finally thought of using an ice pack and that felt a little better and I think shortened the length of the headache but by 6am I was ready to get up and have my first shower! It's crazy how little you can do after having your chest sawed open, even lifting my shampoo bottles was a struggle.

So sorry I missed your 2 days after post. But I'm really happy to hear from you. Weird to say about a stranger on the internet but you've been in my thoughts. Glad things are going relatively well. I'm hope things just get easier for you from here on out.

I finally got the green light from the VA so Monday it's my turn.

dreamy885;n876720 said:
I'm doing really good during the day; walking, drinking water, eating, resting. Nights are bad. I'm getting horrible headaches (I'm not on any narcotics, just Tylenol), horrible nightmares and hot flashes.
Hi Heather - gotta rush here but just wanted to say that if you are getting nightmares are you on beta blockers ? They usually prescribe beta blockers post surgery and they can give very lucid dreams and nightmares as a side effect - if that is the case the beta blocker can be changed to a different one which may not give such a side effect.

Bet your boys are happy to have you home !

Paleowoman;n876725 said:
Hi Heather - gotta rush here but just wanted to say that if you are getting nightmares are you on beta blockers ? They usually prescribe beta blockers post surgery and they can give very lucid dreams and nightmares as a side effect - if that is the case the beta blocker can be changed to a different one which may not give such a side effect.

Bet your boys are happy to have you home !

Yes they are very happy to have me home! I'm on a low dose of Carvedilol, which the nurse today said it's motoporol (so?) that tends to give nightmares. I'm hearing elsewhere that the surgery itself can cause them. I had no headache or nightmares last night but I also didn't really sleep, night-time is an eternity! Finally at 5:30am I crawled in bed next to my bf (I had been attempting to sleep on the couch) and I laid on my side and had the best 2 hours of sleep in a week!

Sleepings the worst for a start, I remember the first night I was home I tried to sleep in the bed, ended up most of the night even rung the hospital, terrible experience, slept in a recliner chair in the lounge for 3 weeks.

Latest posts

Back