10 days

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamy885

I can't believe it's happening NEXT week. Part of me wishes it would just be here already but I'm nervous about recovery. I'm also nervous about the valve choice. I know mechanical makes sense for someone my age, and I'm grateful that it's an option, it's just not what I had planned on. I already had my CT scan, they said my heart is a little close to my sternum but the surgeon thinks he should still be able to do it just fine. I got my dental clearance yesterday. I have an appointment Friday to get an IUD and then I just need to set up my physical and lab work.

I only have one more weekend of work (I'm a stay at home mom during the week and hairstylist on the weekends), and a couple people I'm squeezing in during the week and then I'll be off for 4 weeks. I hope that's enough time, I really have no idea what to expect with recovery. I'm trying to think of what I should bring to the hospital. I figured: a robe, pajama pants, slippers/warm socks, headphones, phone charger, glasses, toothbrush...not sure what else I'll really get to use. Will I be able to wear a tank top at any point during my stay you think? Do you get to wear anything under your gown? What is day 2 like (2 days after surgery)? Asking because Mothers Day is 2 days after surgery and I was really hoping to see my boys but if I'll be in bad shape I don't want them seeing me like that.
Oh I forgot, I'm having my best friend do a mini photo shoot. I want some nice photos that highlight my old scar, the one I've lived with for 30 years that will be replaced by a new one. I don't know why, I just want to commemorate it :)

Attachments

• photo9133.jpg
    photo9133.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 134
Hi Heather - Bringing to hospital - they should give you a list, but bring some loose pyjama pants because they pump you full of fluids during surgery so your regular clothes don’t fit too well ! Not sure you can wear a tank top after surgery - you'’ll probably find it easier to have a button through top as it’'s easier to get off. A robe, slippers, headphones, phone charger, glasses and toothbrush, yes. A set of wipes is useful for cleaning yourself. And a set of clothes to change into too - your hospital may be different but mine had cardiac patients get dressed in day clothes during the daytime once out of high dependency - they want you to get back to ‘normal’ asap and do a bit walking round the hospital for ‘exercise’.

Two days out of surgery you should be in high dependency or on the ward if all goes to plan, that is day 1 after surgery in ICU and then move to HDU and day 2 in HDU and then on the ward. You should be fine for your boys to see you once you’'re on the ward, maybe even in high dependency, though you'll still have wires and machines connected to you there - would that worry your boys ?

My heart is right close to my sternum too, on CT scan it’s practically touching as I have a slightly depressed sternum. It wasn't a problem for my surgeon as far as I know !

All the very best for your surgery and a smooth recovery !

Paleowoman;n876090 said:
Hi Heather - Bringing to hospital - they should give you a list but bring some loose pyjama pants because they pump you full of fluids during surgery so your regualr clothes don’t fit too well ! Not sure you can wear a tank top after surgery - you’ll probably find it easier to have a button through top as it’s easier to get off. A robe, slippers, headphones, phone charger, glasses and toothbrush, yes. A set of wipes is useful for cleaning yourself. And a set of clothes to change into too - your hospital may be different but mine had cardiac patients get dressed in day clothes during the daytime once out of high dependency - they want you to get back to ‘normal’ asap and do a bit walking round the hospital for ‘exercise’.

Two days out of surgery you should be in high dependency or on the ward if all goes to plan, that is day 1 after surgery in ICU and then move to HDU and day 2 in HDU and then on the ward. You should be fine for your boys to see you once you’re on the ward, maybe even in high dependency, though you'll still have wires and machines connected to you there - would that worry your boys ?

My heart is right close to my sternum too, on CT scan it’s practically touching as I have a slightly depressed sternum. It wasn’t a problem for my surgeon as far as I know !

All the very best for your surgery and a smooth recovery !

I appreciate all of the advice Anne! Man, I feel like I've been retaining fluid for months, hardly any of my clothes fit right now, guess I'll just wear a robe there! lol They will probably be worried seeing me like that (they're 9 and 5), I suppose we'll play it by ear. How long did it take for you to feel like you'd be ready to go back to work?

dreamy885;n876091 said:
They will probably be worried seeing me like that (they're 9 and 5), I suppose we'll play it by ear. How long did it take for you to feel like you'd be ready to go back to work?
Playing it by ear is definitley the best with your boys, yes. I wasn't working as I'm a carer for my adult son who has special needs, however I would say that it varies how soon you will feel ready to go back to work, again play it by ear, especially as your job is physical. Some of the others here who went back to work will hopefully chime in and tell you how long it took them.

I just finally read the papers in my folder, it say before surgery they shave you from chin to toe. Does this include your privates?? Haha but seriously, I'm curious! Also, it says I'll wake up with a breathing tube and my hands tied down How bad was that part?

dreamy885;n876099 said:
it say before surgery they shave you from chin to toe. Does this include your privates?? Haha but seriously, I'm curious! Also, it says I'll wake up with a breathing tube and my hands tied down How bad was that part?
I wasn't shaved from chin to toe ! I was instructed to shave some of the hair on my privates (probably because of the catheter), the nurse offered to do it for me or said I could do it myself, so I chose me. I don't remember the breathing tube at all. I vaguely remember it being dark and someone shouting at me but I could have been dreaming. I woke up with no tube feeling good in ICU. I asked my dh to take a photo of me when I was on the ventilator so I could see what it looked like - from the photo it looks like my hands could be tied down as there are straps appearing from out underneath the covering over me. I look peaceful though !

"Shaving" is more like close clippers. They aren't lathering you up or anything. I would imagine a little self grooming prior might save any awkwardness. It's pretty much status quo for heart as a "just in case" a bypass is needed and they need those vessels from your legs. Where I was, they were pretty thorough. Unfortunately it's not as fun as it sounds.

I don't recall hands tied down. If that was the case, I would guess I lacked the motivation or strength to try to lift them afterword (despite of my moniker), so I never found out. The tubes are real. There is a breathing tube down the throat, a catheter in place, and three drain tubes inserted into the chest cavity to prevent fluid build up around the heart. Individual experiences vary as to when these are pulled out. Mine were removed when I was awake. That, also, was not as much fun as it sounds. "On three. Ready? One, Two - YANK!" WHAT!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO THREE!?!

Paleowoman;n876100 said:
I wasn't shaved from chin to toe ! I was instructed to shave some of the hair on my privates (probably because of the catheter), the nurse offered to do it for me or said I could do it myself, so I chose me. I don't remember the breathing tube at all. I vaguely remember it being dark and someone shouting at me but I could have been dreaming. I woke up with no tube feeling good in ICU. I asked my dh to take a photo of me when I was on the ventilator so I could see what it looked like - from the photo it looks like my hands could be tied down as there are straps appearing from out underneath the covering over me. I look peaceful though !

I'm so glad to hear you don't remember the breathing tube, I hope that's the case for me! I suppose I should read the sticky on the post surgery board about things that surprised people after surgery. Or maybe I shouldn't? Sometimes ignorance really is bliss!

The idea of the breathing tube scared me too, but you're so sedated you don't really know about it and if you do, you don't care.
Yep, buttoned shirt, so you don't have to lift your arms over your head.
You'll get it all fixed and get on with your life.

PS: you look like a fairy princess in your photo :)

Tank top: no. Buy a cheap zippered sweatshirt or shirt. I lived in those sweatshirts for the first 8-10 weeks. I wasn't able to do arm motions to get anything over my head. But a cheap bra from Walmart - like a running bra, but loose cotton. I think mine was $5, with a front latch. I should have worn it sooner. My scar looks different near my throat, as the weight of my chest while I laid down spread the scar more. I was scared of the breathing tube but as others said, you really won't care much.
So it isn't an issue. Children: my daughters visited me in the ICU three days after surgery. They were 6 and 8. My 8 year old couldn't even look at me, my 6 year old was fine (the nurses even removed almost every tube before their visit so I would look pretty normal). Really depends on your children.
I was 41 at the time of my surgery. Five days in ICU, 1 day in regular care.
I'm two years out now!

Hi Heather - morning here in the UK so just read more posts. The catheter and drain tubes you don't really feel, though when the drain tubes are removed it causes pain in some people - it didn't with me. Nor did the catheter hurt me when it was removed. I'm sure it depends on the individual. I was given very good pain relief when I was in ICU, I felt well, alert and positive. They changed my pain meds after that and things weren't so comfortable, shall I say. make sure they keep on top of the pain as you will recover more quickly if you can do the breathing exercises and walking without too much pain - they'll explain the breathing exercises when you've had surgery, or even before, depends on the hospital.

Heather, wishing you a speedy recovery. You are getting great tips fron the women on this forum. My only comment is that if your hostile gown is like mine, a robe will be appreciated. I do not know why they need gowns that provide nothing for covering on's backside,

I self groomed prior and surprised the orderly who arrived to do that :) I stayed in the hospital gown till it was time to leave. I was comfortable that way. I was worried about the breathing tube because I have a very strong gag reflex but woke up with it still inserted and had no problems; adequately sedated so it didn't bother me.

There is a "sticky" post under the pre surgery forum that includes discussions on what to bring. Re: electronics, keep in mind that you may not have adequate reception to use a phone or tablet on the Internet.

My children are grown but I remember seeing my mom very ill with appendicitis when I was 9 and it scared me. But if you can smile and talk with them normally they should be OK.

Wishing you you the best going forward.

Hugs,
Michele

By the way, I brought all of the things you mentioned to the hospital and used none of them, except my phone for texting. I stayed in the hospital gown. They gave me socks. I had a bathroom so could wash my face. The hospital provided soap, toothpaste, toothbrush etc. I didn't even brush my hair. I guess the drugs made me not care! Also, ask for extra pain meds before they pull your stomach tubes. I did, so only felt the pressure but no pain.

Superman;n876101 said:
"Shaving" is more like close clippers. They aren't lathering you up or anything. I would imagine a little self grooming prior might save any awkwardness. It's pretty much status quo for heart as a "just in case" a bypass is needed and they need those vessels from your legs. Where I was, they were pretty thorough. Unfortunately it's not as fun as it sounds.

I don't recall hands tied down. If that was the case, I would guess I lacked the motivation or strength to try to lift them afterword (despite of my moniker), so I never found out. The tubes are real. There is a breathing tube down the throat, a catheter in place, and three drain tubes inserted into the chest cavity to prevent fluid build up around the heart. Individual experiences vary as to when these are pulled out. Mine were removed when I was awake. That, also, was not as much fun as it sounds. "On three. Ready? One, Two - YANK!" WHAT!?! WHAT HAPPENED TO THREE!?!

I heard they dry shave you! I planned on self grooming beforehand, so hopefully no dry shaving at the hospital! Oh God, I'm scared of what the drain tubes feel like, maybe I should crank up the pain meds before they take them out!

The idea of the breathing tube scared me too, but you're so sedated you don't really know about it and if you do, you don't care.
Yep, buttoned shirt, so you don't have to lift your arms over your head.
You'll get it all fixed and get on with your life.

PS: you look like a fairy princess in your photo :)

How long before you can lift your arms up enough to wear normal shirts? I'm banking on not caring or remembering the breathing tube. Aww thanks, my bf calls me Unicorn when I put the fun colors in my hair :p Unfortunately they don't last more than 3-4 washes :(

dreamy885;n876213 said:
I heard they dry shave you! I planned on self grooming beforehand, so hopefully no dry shaving at the hospital! Oh God, I'm scared of what the drain tubes feel like, maybe I should crank up the pain meds before they take them out!

How long before you can lift your arms up enough to wear normal shirts? I'm banking on not caring or remembering the breathing tube. Aww thanks, my bf calls me Unicorn when I put the fun colors in my hair :p Unfortunately they don't last more than 3-4 washes :(

I was still a bit doped up when they pulled the drain tubes out, but I don't remember it being painfull just the most weirdest feeling I'd ever had, surpased only by the pacing wires being pulled out the following day, I would have liked to have something for that in hindsite so maybe if your are fully lucid by the time the wires come out ask.
I went to button shirts and front zippers, I think it was a few if not several weeks before I felt comfortable enough lifting my arms
All the very, very best !!!

I am officially done with all of my doctor's appointments that needed to be done prior to surgery! Those included a CT scan, dental clearance, lab draw and some form of birth control (I went with IUD to hopefully help with heavy bleeding from the warfarin.) They did want me to get a physical but since I just met with my cardiologist recently, they are going to count that as my physical. All that's left to do now is some grocery shopping and cleaning next week. I'm just trying to enjoy each beautiful day with my kids before surgery, been getting out on the Razor scooters with them and going for a short ride. I don't know how long it will be before I can do that again so I'm taking full advantage now!

dreamy885;n876213 said:
Not long. You'll feel comfortable doing it pretty soon. One week maybe, but you'll probably refrain because, remember, your sternum is still healing.
As for the drains, I felt relief when they came out. Very little pain.
I seriously wasn't in much physical discomfort. I'd forget and reach out or pick something up and the think 'maybe I shouldn't have done that'. My discomfort was mainly emotional and existential.

Latest posts

Back