1 Week After Surgery Update - Video

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pain really aint that bad... also I saw my doctors yesterday at the hospital - the fluid is still on my heart but hasnt increased, and they aint worried, still think it will go away, my heart rate is still fast, but they barely even spoke about that, just said it will drop in time and not to worry about it.

Oh, they also said I should come off my pain meds within the week, which I feel i'll be able to do, my sternum and incision barely hurt at all, but I do have some aching muscles on the right side of my chest - i put this down to simply being right handed and picking things up with my right arm etc...

Also saw a cardio exercise rehab nurse, she gave me some simple exercises and tole me to take a walk for 10 minutes a day this week and up that to 15 minutes next week and so on, but she also said the program was designed for older people who've had heart attacks mostly so cos im young and was healthy before the op its okay if i want to do a bit more as long as I don't over exert myself..

Onwards and upwards, I want to take a beach holiday in 6-8 weeks so I better be fit for then :)

hi dan glad to hear your on full speed ahead! i was just wondering if you new who your surgeon was and what they actually do to repair the valve as i am facing the same
Dean
p.s your vids have been great

My surgeon was a Mr Griselli, I met with him a few weeks before, and I don't know the ins and outs of the surgery, but the valve was tightened a little, and also some repair work actually done to a leaflet, sorry I don't know the specifics.

He is based at the Freeman hospital in Newcastle, I didn't fully research his background / success rates etc, but I felt confident with him and liked him so was happy to go ahead - there is a more senior surgeon also at The Freeman - a Mr Hasan, who I have heard from several people that he is a legend, and possibly second best in the world at some things....

Just make sure you meet your surgeon, and ask him how many of your exact type of operation he has done, and how many recently... I'm sure youll be fine and will be assigned a surgeon who suits your needs.

thanks Dan and keep the vids coming cant wait keep pressing refresh to see the next chapter!!
did the surgeon discuss how long they expect a repair to last?

Great videos Dan, thanks for taking the time to do them and good luck with the rest of your recovery!

all the best, Warren.

Thanks for the smiles!

Thanks for the smiles!

Hello Dan,

Nancy & I love your video! And your joyful smiles, which light up the room.

Don't overdo, but keep walking. For what it's worth, I measured my walks and increased the distance gradually over the first few weeks post-op, and it was satisfying to keep track of progress.

And I have to say "I told you so" about your scar. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it!

Best,

Richard

I'm not making a written record, but yes I am walking further and further every couple of days - its just over 2 weeks after surgery for me now and im probably walking aprox 1 mile a day - I know I could do more, but I've been told to increase the distance, but still make sure its easy - and it is.... so its less than some, more than others, but I'm happy with the progress :)

Oh, yeh, the scar isn't so bad at all, I dont think it will be an issue at all really, and it is healing up nicely. Ive got some pictures after 1 week, and 2 weeks so ill post them soon :)

Latest posts

Back