1 Day After And Doing Ok

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxtail118

Hello Everybody,

Got out of surgery at 12:30 pm yesterday, and just got out of bed for the 1st time at 1:00 pm today. Not feeling too bad. My throat was not bothered by the ventilator too much - happy about that. The drainage tubes placed in each lung and the heart surgical area are painful when breathing. They cause shallow breaths on the Spiromter that the nurses don't like. Hopefully the tubes come out tomorrow. Had a full breakfast delivered at noon, but only ate half. Earlier in the morning an xray showed I had a gastric bubble buildup alongside my stomach. Right after they took the xray I felt a strong burp coming on. It came on fast and hard. The result was a 6 foot "Exorxist- like" stream that hit the wall across from the foot of my bed. No food in it - just gas, water, and medicine. Will post again tomorrow!

Great news @Foxtail118 👍🏼 Good to hear you’re not feeling too bad.

I found the discomfort I felt in my upper right body the first day or so, instantly subsided once the drainage tubes were out. Such relief.

Keep those deep breaths going.

Sending good thoughts your way and a healthy best for the coming days.

Welcome to the zipper club! Membership isn’t cheap or easy, but it beats the alternative! I believe I said something about things happen during recovery that aren’t in the things you read before hand. Don’t envy your nurses or custodial staff cleaning that one up. 😄

I started out with three drainage tubes, and had the same issue with the spirometer. Once they took the first one out the issue pretty much went away.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

John K

Glad to hear you are up and about already!

After my first surgery I struggled with the ventilator but the drainage tubes were a breeze. After my second surgery the ventilator was a breeze but I struggled with the drainage tubes. I think the ventilator was more tolerable after my 2nd surgery just from having already experienced it before. IIRC my drainage tubes were removed before I left the ICU (and still on IV pain meds) with my first surgery whereas I was on the step-down unit with them still in for another 24-36 hours after my 2nd surgery. They actually put me back on a self-administered morphine pump until they were removed.

All my drips and lines and hoses have been disconnected. They pulled out what seemed like 25 feet of chest drainage tubing. That went OK. Just got moved to a step down room from the ICU. Two days here and then home.

My room in the ICU was directly across from the nurse’s station. I watched patients coming down from surgery for the last two days and was just amazed at the amount of equipment and staff that makes that journey with us - dedicated heroes in this COVID-19 environment.

Latest posts

Back