Where is the incision for a minimally invasive mitral valve replacement?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

Hi everyone. In 4 days I'm getting my mitral valve replaced, and the surgeon is doing a minimally invasive approach. Can any of you tell me where the incision will be made? Will it be down the center of my chest or on the left side of my chest where my heart is? The reason why I'm asking this is because I have chest acne, they're not pussy, they're red bumps. I really hope they don't postpone :(

Hi - it would be best to contact your cardiac surgeon to find out where the incision will be as there are several approaches to minimally invasive mitral valve replacement.

All the best for a speedy and smooth recovery after the big day.

I agree with Paleogirl. "Minimally Invasive" can mean anything--a shorter incision in your sternum or going between the ribs are two common meanings. Find out from your surgeon exactly which he means, and while you're at it, find out how many of them he's done. You may not want to be a practice run for something he's not done a lot of.

Back