Where did you get Coaguchek XS Machine/Did insurance cover it?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherie'

Hey all-
Need you help. Cardiologist has approved for me to have home testing - even though only approaching 5 weeks since surgery. This is due to fact that I have non-existent veins that are all completely shot from hospital stay. After going around and around with BCBS of Florida apparently none of their medical suppliers carry anti-coag machines except for one (Edgepark) - but they have not been able to reach an agreed upon price so BCBS of Fla is not covering it. I still cant believe that BCBS of Fla. has no supplier with this machine that is in network. On phone with them for 2 hours yesterday. This is story they gave me. Of course, I have already reached out-of-pocket. Husband says I need to just buy machine. Is Coaguchek XS the one you all recommend? ARe there older and newer models of this machine? Does anyone have BCBS of Fla. and get it covered? Saw website www.dmes.com that has whole system - machine, strips, lancets, etc for $1399. Is this a scam or old machine or something? Does anyone know of them?

A lot of people on this forum seem to prefer the CoaguChek XS or the InRatio 2 machines over the others. Both machines are supposed to be easy to use, the strips don't require refrigeration, and the strips have quality controls built in (and I don't have either machine).

I recommend against the CoaguChek S because Roche will stop supporting it by next October.

Regarding Older and Newer versions of the XS - no, it's just the XS, although Roche recently recalled some of the earlier ones because of a problem with cleaning that may have altered the results of some of the tests.

Personally, because I'm not insured, I was able to get my meter on eBay - a practice that I'm not uncomfortable with, but that a lot of people here seem to have problems with.

I'm using a ProTime 3 meter now, having replaced my older ProTime. The ProTime meters are available on eBay for considerably less than $100 -- and you may even be able to do better if you send the vendor a question about pricing. These meters are not the favorites of those who use the CoaguChek or InRatio machines. The ProTime 3 is bigger than the others. Its strips require refrigeration. A larger sample of blood is needed to do a successful test. The pricing of the strips is comparable to those for the other two devices.

I've gotten through the ProTime learning curve and almost never have a failed test. Quality Controls built into the strip make me pretty confident about the results. Although I don't know if I'd like the newer CoaguChek or InRatio machines more - my ProTime 3 (and the ProTime before it) - do the job for me and meet my needs.

If your husband suggests that you buy a meter - and you're comfortable buying on eBay, buying a meter on eBay is an option that you may want to consider -- until your insurance decides to cover you for a different meter (if you want to change). For a few hundred dollars - including the strips - you should be able to do your own testing while you're waiting to make a change.

One other thought --
With your compromised veins, perhaps you can find an anticoagulation clinic or a medical practice that uses the meters and doesn't require venous blood.

When BCBS sees what they're paying for something that you can probably do for yourself (with, perhaps, some coaching or dosage charts), they may be less resistant to buying a meter.

Also -- perhaps Alere (I think that's the name) or another service that specializes in home monitoring and knows how to deal with the insurance companies can help you deal with your insurance company.

These medical supply companies generally sell only to physicians, although their ads don't indicate that. This package for $1399 seems like a good price since it also includes 5 boxes of 48 strips, or 240 strips. For home use it would be difficult to use the strips before their "use by" date expired.

Generally, insurance will not cover home testing until 90 days after surgery. You may want to contact companies that provide INR service, such as Phillips or Alere. They generally know how to handle insurers for coverage. I use a program thru Alere. They provide me with a meter and ALL testing supplies at no cost too me. I am with Anthem BCBS of KY(Medicare Advantage Plan) and my insurance covers 80% of my cost. I test every two weeks and my cost is about $6/test. Insurance pays the rest. Alere also has the responsibility for maintaining my meter. I just received a new replacement machine due to a recall. I like not owning the meter and don't have to worry about technology making my meter obsolete.

My Coaguchek XS was delivered today by my trainer. I chose the XS because it's the same one my cardiologist uses. I purchased from Edgepark because they file the insurance. Alere owns Edgepark. UHS covers both Alere and Edgepark, but Alere does not file.

I will be communicate my results to Alere. Alere will contact my cardiologist by fax if I am in range and by phone if I'm out of range. I called in my first result (3.3 out of range) after 5PM. Within 5 minutes the on-call cardiologist called me. Alere had gotten the answering service and gave them my number to call. Frankly for 3.3 I thought that response was over the top, and I also don't see the point of Alere getting in the middle of reporting results, but the system works.

dick0326 said:
ALL testing supplies at no cost too me
Perhaps you are leasing the meter. I was told that this is an option (and/or mandatory) for some suppliers, but chose to buy.

I'm just a bit curious -- aside from that on-call cardiologist quickly returning your call (was it the speed of the response that was over the top?), what was the cardiologist's dosing advice? (Or was the it the advice that was over the top?)

I too use a CoaguChek XL, Good Meter.My range is 2.0-3.0,Checking every 2 weeks ,call the INR clinic here, They take care of any doseing changes (if needed).My insurance took care of it (not even a co payment.) same for all testing stuff.

Many of our members purchased their INR Testers through a Florida based company named QAS which has now been acquired by another company whose name I don't recall. They know how to deal with most insurance companies, although BCBS can be a PAIN. They may be willing to reduce their asking price for a Cash Sale.

(you may want to try a Google Search for QAS for starters)

'AL Capshaw'

Janie:

I'm sure your referral to Alere was very valuable.

I've been trying to find a timeline for the release of the CoaguChek S, and your info at the bottom of your post was quite useful for me. It's interesting to know that my NEW CoaguChek S that I got a couple months ago first came out in 2002. (It's interesting, too, that people on eBay and elsewhere are STILL selling new CoaguChek S meters. Personally, I would not buy a CoaguChek S because Roche won't have test strips after October 2011 -- unless I was aware of this end of life for the product and I got such a great deal on meter and strips that the price I pay for 12 months of use made it worth it to me. Some of the vendors selling the CoaguChek S are charging $200, $300 or more - and the higher amount are, to my thinking, little short of criminal for a meter that would be unusable in a little over a year).

The advice about contacting Alere is good. They know how to work with the ins companies, though BCBS can be a pain from what others have said. The standard 'in-network- medical equipment suppliers (DME) do not carry the meters. My ins. company - UHC had me go through the Phillips lease program rather than purchase. Stupid thing on the part of the ins. co - they've been paying $140/month for 4.5 years. Would have been a lot cheaper for them if they had just approved the purchase. I don't pay anything for supplies.

Latest posts

Back