When to test..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protimenow

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I wrote a longer piece, but it got lost in this forum's system.

The general advice is, if dosage needs adjusting, to do it based on the total weekly dose. This is what I've been doing for as long a I've been managing my anticoagulation.

On February 17, I had a rather anomalous INR of 1.6. I adjusted my weekly dose from 49 (7 mg per day) to 51 (8 mg on Thursday and Sunday), and the INR came back into range at around 2.7. Testing was usually done on Thursday.

Yesterday, I changed sources of Warfarin, switching from 10 mg and 4 mg Barr warfarin that I broke in half to get my 7 mg, to 5 mg and 2 mg pills that didn't have to be broken in half. These were from another manufacturer. In the past, I've used these, and the result matched that from Barr's warfarin.

A test really early this morning (a few minutes after midnight - on a Wednesday), and my INR was 3.2. This isn't a troubling number, but was a bit of a surprise. I'm not planning to make changes in dosing yet -- I may retest in a few days to see if it's back down around 2.7 or so.

A few thoughts: My other tests were usually on Thursdays -- after the slightly higher Sunday dose probably worked its way out of my system. This test, on a Wednesday, may have still had some of the effects of the 8 mg dose. With the new warfarin, I'll probably test again on Saturday -- and wouldn't be surprised it I'm above 3 again.

For those of us who are altering their doses during the week, it's useful to remember that depending on the dosing of a few days earlier, your INR will fluctuate. On my current schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if my Tuesday reading differs (as it does) from my Thursday or Friday result.

It may also be worth considering whether dosage adjustments are always warranted -- would a reading once a month REALLY give a picture of what your fairly steady state INR is? Do your test results really reflect your weekly dose or just what your dosages were the last few days? If you aren't taking the same dose every day, how can you be REALLY sure that your test accurately reflects what your INR was the day before or after the test?

Thanks for taking the time to read this - and to consider some of my questions.

It may also be worth considering whether dosage adjustments are always warranted -- would a reading once a month REALLY give a picture of what your fairly steady state INR is? Do your test results really reflect your weekly dose or just what your dosages were the last few days? If you aren't taking the same dose every day, how can you be REALLY sure that your test accurately reflects what your INR was the day before or after the test?

I agree with the above. There are many variables, such as those listed, that can affect INR values. The reason the range is usually broad, mine is 2.5-3.5, is to help account for some of these variables. I try to take my meds at the same time each day, test at the same time of day and on the same day of the week, if possible, to "even out" some of these variables. I seldom make changes if my INR is only a little high or low. For me, the importance of the INR test is to monitor "trends". I want to know when my INR is trending to the hi or lo end of my range. If a couple of tests show a definite trend, I make small dosage and/or diet changes to bring me to my comfort level.

A test really early this morning (a few minutes after midnight - on a Wednesday), and my INR was 3.2. This isn't a troubling number, but was a bit of a surprise. I'm not planning to make changes in dosing yet -- I may retest in a few days to see if it's back down around 2.7 or so.

A few thoughts: My other tests were usually on Thursdays -- after the slightly higher Sunday dose probably worked its way out of my system. This test, on a Wednesday, may have still had some of the effects of the 8 mg dose. With the new warfarin, I'll probably test again on Saturday -- and wouldn't be surprised it I'm above 3 again.

Even though you're an AVRer, a 3.2 is perfectly acceptable. You could have taken another test immediately and it might be a tad more, a tad lower than 3.2. Unless you stand in one of those Tilt-A-Whirl midway rides, your blood isn't apt to be homogenized. ;-))

Nope, no Tilt-A-Whirl rides on my schedule. If I had an endless supply of strips, I'd probably try for a week to see how my INR responds to the two different doses - expecting Wednesday and Sunday to be higher than the other days because my dose on Thursday and Sunday is slightly higher. At this point, even though I had a 1.6, I'm considering dropping back to 49/week.

(I will probably be going to a conference in a couple weeks -- I'll be looking at partial dehydration and probably dietary changes -- but don't plan to take my meter or strips along. Do you think this will RAISE or LOWER my INR?)

My guess:

If you don't eat a lot of chicken-fried steak with cream gravy or fried chicken or fried shrimp (fats are good sources of vitamin K),
If you don't eat as much as usual
If you don't drink enough water
Then I'll throw a dart at INR UP on the dartboard.

But ... don't hold me to it. You & I have been on rat poison long enough that we know nothing's a sure bet.

I tested this morning and my INR was 3.3. Two weeks ago it was 3.2. One week before that it was 3.2, I think.

So boring!!!!!!!!! :biggrin2:

However, I'm sure something will happen that will give me a big slice of humble pie.

Nope, no Tilt-A-Whirl rides on my schedule. If I had an endless supply of strips, I'd probably try for a week to see how my INR responds to the two different doses - expecting Wednesday and Sunday to be higher than the other days because my dose on Thursday and Sunday is slightly higher. At this point, even though I had a 1.6, I'm considering dropping back to 49/week.

(I will probably be going to a conference in a couple weeks -- I'll be looking at partial dehydration and probably dietary changes -- but don't plan to take my meter or strips along. Do you think this will RAISE or LOWER my INR?)

Shrimp has never been an option for me. Dehydration and an unusually high amount of walking are.

Perhaps I'll take my CoaguChek S and a bunch of strips (I haven't used this meter for months and didn't plan to ever use it again, and I wouldn't feel that hurt if someone SHOULD steal it from me). Of course, without any method of quality control, I may not feel all that comfortable about the accuracy of a test run on that machine, anyway.

Yeah, stable INRs can be SO boring.

Latest posts

Back