What exactly is "don't strain yourself"

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

heartyone

My 50 -ish wife had repair of a dissecting aortic aneurysm in July. She is healing well and will be raring to go soon. They gave her a mechanical valve and dacron arch and parts of the branches, too. In addition to being careful for the coumadin, she's been instructed to "not strain herself" that it would put too much pressure on the arch. That's an awful loose definition, can anyone help here with why there is this restriction and what it really means for someone who's extremely active in outdoor activities? Is this measured in pounds or in the number of "oomphs" you make in attempting to do something?

Thanks

This is probably a good question for your doctor/surgeon. . . he or she should be able to give your wife some guidelines.

In general, I let my body be my guide. If something feels like too much, it probably is. To find that spot, I started small and kept upping the ante a little bit at a time until I hit what seems to be the upper limit.

Melissa

For the first few weeks most of us are advised not to lift anything over 5 or 10 lbs. Then up to 45 or 50 lbs after 3 months.

NEVER hold your breath when lifting as that puts extra pressure on the valve and STITCHES. If you can't lift something without holding your breath, GET HELP.

'AL'

Heartyone - I echo the thoughts that you should get some guidelines from your doc. In the meantime, try this definition on for size: If your wife couldn't lift or move that object repetitively ten times without getting out of breath, then its too heavy for her to be attempting. The problem is that with a heavy strain, it drastically increases the blood pressure. Hope this helps - Chris

Hey Heartyone
I think what they are telling her is the same thing they told me, not to lift anything over 50 lbs. for 6 months and also not to bear down with out breathing. They told me that the Dacron sleeve had to heal. I also had an aortic aneurysm repair with a Dacron Sleeve and a St. Jude Mechanical Aortic valve. Hope this helps you out. I would also ask her Cardiologist about it also.
Take Care

Dave

50 lbs., Dave!! I can't lift 50 pounds at all and I haven't had surgery. What's that gal toting around?

Maybe the gals should have a lower lifting limit than you big strapping guys. :p :p :p

I also wondered about this "don't strain yourself." Seems impossibly vague. STrain is what makes muscles grow, eh? On one hand, you're supposed to be exercising. On the other hand, you're not supposed to do anything fun. At first I was content to work on the cardio--it's the heart that needs to get better, after all... The disappearing gut I'd earned during a year of doing NOTHING was also starting to go, as well. But I couldn't get over the gnawing desire--I. Want. My. BODY! BACK! I made my cardio explain, as best he could, why "no weights." It's mostly the pressure put on your aorta by heavy lifting and, worse, holding your breath (bearing down) during heavy lifts. He gave me guidelines--no static exertion. All effort must be accompanied by movement--no breath-holding. No straining. No squats or deadlifts. But chest, arms, back, abs, etc., are free to work out as long as Commandment Number One is obeyed--absolutely NO breath-holding during exertion. Finally started working out like that this week. Feels pretty light compared to what I'm used to, but it's better than nothing, and my work-starved muscles are already responding to these "light" workouts. Maybe improvement is possible after all, even with all the "NO!'s" from my doctor....

Don't strain yourself, to me, means--if I can complete the last rep in my set without pausing to HEAVE it home--if the weight is light enough to finish the set comfortably. Working like this, I usually do one extra set of whatever it is, just for good measure. But yeah, no more red-in-the-face, vein-popping, grunting exertion against a bar that won't move. Used to love that, now it's off limits.

But I must say, after a year off, even my little baby "light" workouts these days feel like they're doing a world of good.

:)

Scott(y)

For this 50-ish grandmother, I was told 5-10 # for 3 months, 25# limit up to 6 months, then no problem. Also given that no isometric exercise ever. I suspect that limit for 6 months must vary according to strength of individual. But it's due to the sternotomy - REALLY don't want to damage that. It doesn't bear thinking about (shudder).

"oomphs"

"oomphs"

I think just concentrating on weight can be misleading. Before my surgery I did strain myself. I wasn't lifting much but I was doing a lot of heavy work. The cardiologist I was seeing at the time had told me I could do any work I wanted as long as I didn't lift anything heavy. Since then another cardiologist told me that any anaerobic exercise is bad, especially if it involves holding your arms above your head while you work.
In other words trying to open a jar might be worse than lifting 100 lbs. I agree the number of "oomphs" is a better measure.

Gerry

Hi Scott et al

I'm about to have a Ross procedure in the next few weeks and have been active all my life as a runner and triathlete at elite levels. Over the past couple of years I spent time at the gym lifting weights to supplement the aerobic training and to build strength for a kayak marathon event on the Murray River here in Australia (400 kms over 5 days in a relay team).

I know what you mean about wanting your body back! I have put on about 6 kg in recent months as my exercise regime has by necessity been reduced. I'm still walking but get frustrated when I used to average 50-60 miles running a wek with no problems!

I also hope to get back to a regular exercise program, and am coming to terms with the reality that elite lefel performance is unlikely to be possible in the future.

Kind regards

Grant

Too much

Too much

I made the mistake of steam cleaning my house with a rug doctor about 8 weeks after surgery and ended up with a pulse of 190+ in Afib and spent 3 days in the hospital before they could convert me to normal sinus. Sometimes even if you feel like you can do you shouldnt. I am pretty young and was suprised to find out that something that used to be easy for me could do that. So tell you wife to be carefull and check with her doc!

exercise isn't a marathon...

exercise isn't a marathon...

I've always worked within my limits. I may push here and there but I've been careful not to work too hard for any length of time. Usually your body will tell you you've had enough, heavy (and sometimes labored) breathing, high pulse, and in extremes: lightheaded or dizzy. In rehab they told me I should never have my pulse more than about 30 beats over my resting heart rate. I got yelled at a few times while doing exactly that on a rowing machine, but for the most part I work hard if I'm "comfortable" and when I get uncomfortable I stop right away. I'm taking kung-fu right now, I've always wanted to do that. I started off learning an "energy breathing" technique called qi-gong (pronounced chi gong) which does a lot to stretch out your chest cavity, increasing lung capacity which really does give you more energy... I do other stretches and basic calisthenics but I pace myself and will take frequent breaks if I need them.

I'm no where near where I was fitness-wise before I started getting sick, but I'm getting closer now.

Harpoon wrote:
"In rehab they told me I should never have my pulse more than about 30 beats over my resting heart rate."

I vaguely recall hearing that, BUT, at 12 weeks post op (it took 6 additional weeks to get insurance approved) I pushed myself to the standard 220-AGE X 80% using a prolonged warmup and cooldown (with approval from my Cardiologist).

I push mow 2 acres for the exercise and have been trimming / cutting trees in the woods for the past 6 months, pausing to rest and / or pacing myself when my HR gets over 140.

'AL' (18 months post op)

Latest posts

Back