Water skiing w/ mechanical valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catwoman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I've read elsewhere that people with mechanical valves are discouraged from snow and water-skiing. Guess it's because of the Coumadin.
I haven't water-skiied in years, but would love to this summer at my sister's lake house. Would also love to learn to use a jet ski.

Any problems with this? Also, if I ski only occasionally, how to estimate any temporary increase in INR and what to do with it?

You don't want to play with your INR. Keep it in range, that's what is important. People tell us not to use chainsaws etc, but folks like Robthatsme and I still do. It's an assumed risk and we take all possible precautions, but do what we want anyhow.

They're afraid your going to conk your noggin and cause a bleed. The question to you would be, can you minimize that risk and are you willing to assume the risk? If the answers are yes and yes, go enjoy yourself and live life.

Marsha

Marsha

How does your chest area feel? Do you have any pain now..if you lift anything too heavy or reach out to far? Remember you have to pull hard on ski ropes..to get up and going. We sold our jet ski's//Too much traffic on lakes and too many accidents. Maybe where your sister lives..it's not as bad.They have no regulations for age for children riding jet ski's..:mad: :mad: :mad: Do what you feel comfortable doing...:D :D :D :D I was woried about getting hit in the head from a baseball this Spring from Granson's team. That's out now..since he had his appendix removed last week. Cannot start practice until he heals completely..Looks like that may be a few weeks away. His Dad has a ski boat..so looks like he will be spending weekends at lake instead swinging a baseball bat. Bonnie

Bonnie:
Only place that's uncomfortable is where my collarbones meet. I've been lugging 47lb rolling duffel bags through airports, toting Vari-Kennel 100s with a 11lb Persian, doing a lot of reaching since my surgery (8MO now).

Just didn't know if there was any obvious reason not to water-ski. I have no problem with hiking, etc. I'm not a klutz.:D :D :D

skiing

skiing

Marsha
I water-skied in 1978, 12 weeks after AV replacement. Ok, so I was young and impetuous, but it didn't kill me. Ok, so I was just plain stupid, but I got over it. As long as you realize the risk you are taking, and you are willing to suffer the consequences in the event of some freak accident, or hitting your head on a log.... go for it.
I also snow-skiied for years, til the altitude and my condition were no longer compatible! I am so happy that I did what I did, when I was able. I couldn't do it now for all the tea in China!! But at least I have the memories!!

Hi,

Like Ross said, the risk of a severe blow to the head, (causing internal bleeding), is why doctors ask that we limit certain activities.

I still ski, but not as often, and definitely not as aggressively as I did prior to surgery. Hitting the water while in the middle of a turn at 40+ mph can hurt. I enjoy getting up and skiing at a moderate pace.

Rob

I wouldn't Think Twice

I wouldn't Think Twice

I personally would not think twice about water skiing.

I'm alive after all.

To me, "life" means living.

But thats just me.

I guess if it doesn't hurt to move or lift fairly heavy loads and you're reasonably flexible (post-op, not just generally) and you've been water skiing (or downhill or cross country or whatever) for a while then it should be OK.

Be aware the first time out that you might find some soreness in places you might not expect, or maybe places you do but shouldn't be so sore so soon. No sense pushing through that at all, just stop if it starts to feel "odd"...

You might wake up the next day with your chest feeling like yesterday was a VERY bad idea, whether you felt fine doing it or not... =)

The only precaution I would advise is that if you like to slalom ski, be aware that it takes a lot of effort that will peak your blood pressure severely if you try to get up on one ski. I'd get up on two skis then kick one off. (And don't forget the sunscreen !) Chris

Oh Yes - One More Thing

Oh Yes - One More Thing

I forgot to tell you to be sure and use a yellow ski rope. They have been approved by the American Heart Association to have a lower incidence of staple trauma. The red ones absorb too much gamma radiation from the boat exaust which increases your INR remotely.:D :D :D :D :D

.........And the yellow line with the fluorescent green stripe will make you go faster too! :D

My wife has resumed anow skiing less than a year after surgery for a dissecting aortic aneurysm. She has a mechanical valve and dacron graft and the doctors gave her the green light to buy a helmet and hit the slopes, which she has done with great enthusiasm. It's interesting here that they put only two restrictions on her activities--she's not allowed to lift anything that would strain her and she's not allowed to water ski, kneeboard, etc., anything that involves getting pulled behind a boat. Given all the crazy things she does, I was kind of baffled by the water skiing ban. But, I think it's because you are out there without any protection at all and you aren't in control of where you are going or at what speed you are moving. I think, however, that if she had been an expert water skiier before the accident and she pushed the docs, they would have told her to go for it.

Life is to be lived, why else go through all these operations and take all these meds?

Chris:

Never tried to slalom. My sister used to -- as well as skiing backwards and barefoot. A co-worker once told me my feet are so big that I could go without the skis. I doubt that.

Hank:

Must be the red color that raises the INR, doncha think?

Hank and Heartyone:
Yep, I'm alive, so why not live? I'm certainly not going to start doing motorcycle jumps across the Grand Canyon, but still...

Yesterday I thought about how wonderful I feel today, compared to this time last year. I was so exhausted last March from MV regurgitation that I stayed in bed 2 days -- and one of those was while I was on vacation. Too tired to even get out of bed.

Latest posts

Back