Warfarin/coumadin side effects

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm staying in-range for the most part this year
that's good ... I'm glad.

I read so many stories here I just worry some times :)

. I do see variation after that time so maybe I need to revisit my dosage.
you'll notice that in my graph there was small changes in dose (typically between 7.5mg and 7mg) and since I decided to take myself off antibiotics (which I'd been on for 10 years at a dose of like 500mg 3 times a day) has enabled me to have less wild swings of INR. It also took me about a year just to normalise my flora in some ways.

I have a little algo that I up that guides me in making a choice of what to to do with my dose.

Best Wishes

Joseph: I can't tell from your chart whether or not you're testing your blood weekly or less frequently.

I don't really understand why you didn't slightly adjust your dose when your INR hit 3.5 or higher.

Although an INR of 4 isn't particularly worrisome, I, personally would be much more comfortable with a maximum INR of around 3.5.

Joseph: I can't tell from your chart whether or not you're testing your blood weekly or less frequently.

I don't really understand why you didn't slightly adjust your dose when your INR hit 3.5 or higher.

Although an INR of 4 isn't particularly worrisome, I, personally would be much more comfortable with a maximum INR of around 3.5.
I'm testing weekly with an occasional extra test in a week if my numbers are off. I have adjusted my dose when it's high (or low) to compensate but have tried to stick with the same daily dose (versus changing each day/week). I'm on a 7.5mg tab and will discuss with my GP going to a 5mg + 2mg so I can test a slightly lower dose (with an option to go lower).

This has been a year of change with work, travel, and abstaining so I'm not too worried. Like many here, I've been taking coumadin for decades and figure eventually I'll get it right ;)

I have/had a simple response to this problem. I just said "no"! I also have Ankylosing Spondilitis, so have to take some serious stuff to keep my spine from fusing, so am VERY cautious about taking ANY meds that I feel are not absolutely necessary. I found that cardios love throwing drugs at you. So just say no, and thats that!! As to side effects from Warfarin? None here.. So go ahead - push back - if you don't want the meds. You're likely to do better by having emotional peace than anything else.. It is a GREAT healer in itself.
Unfortunately - at least in my experience - despite it being our right as patients to do our own independent research and weigh the risks/rewards ourselves in making a decision to take whatever the drug (or recommended treatment) is, most GODS (or I mean Drs) don't like patients to do that and then they treat you like you are a complete a-hole who has no right to contradict or not follow their advice (even when they are 100% wrong and don't have a clue of what they are even talking about)....

My cardiologist trusts me to manage my INR. He hasn't suggested a 'coumadin clinic' or any other method of taking over my management.

Joseph - I don't know if we'll ever 'get it right' because INR is a moving target -- small changes sometimes have to be made just to keep in range (as I'm sure you already know). Just staying in range - and not shooting for a specific number, is the best version of getting it right.

I’m amazed at the lack of side effects other report.

33 years on warfarin (since I was a teenager).

Weight gain
Weight loss
Hair’s going grey
Skin has way more wrinkles than when I started
My hairline isn’t what it used to be either
Occasional back pain
Very fertile apparently (five kids since going on warfarin)

Lots of stuff. Too numerous to mention.

Back