Uneasy feeling about pace of appointments

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I now have an appt. at Northwestern in Chicago for a 4-d MRI / ECHO / Doctor consultation. It seems like this is a good idea, as being an engineer I am convinced that you can not have enough good information from which to draw conclusions. I also have started sleeping with a CPAP machine. Breathing machine for sleep apnea. I only had a mild case of apnea but the machine definitely helps me sleep at night.
Does anyone know if a blood oxygen meter will show any decrease in oxygen levels if the heart isn't getting the necessary energy to function?
I have one of those small oxygen meters and use it occasionally when I feel really 'odd' to see if anything has changed. It always reads around 97%.
Thanks again for the responses and I agree with tjay, we are looking for support AND facts / personal experience. Thanks to everyone for either...

Greg - I think your pulse-oximeter will show if or when your blood-oxygen levels go lower, but it will be up to you to determine at what percentage you feel "bad." IIRC, the doctors and hospitals expect about 98% or so to indicate that "all is well." But as usual, different levels cause different patients to react differently. . . so unless you see a really low percentage, the actual value may not say much.

I congratulate you on choosing to consult at Northwestern. I had my valve surgery, bypass and pacemaker implant all done there (all in the same hospital stay), and I was more than pleased with their standard of care, the compassion and professionalism of their doctors and staff, and the facility in general. Although I have transitioned my cardiac care back to my local cardiologist (Chicago suburban), I continue to see the Northwestern Pacemaker Clinic and electrophysiologist.

Back