The therapeutic benefits of Taylor Swift...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still sort of trying to understand how Americans use "liberal"; as it seems to depend.
Americans use it in the same sense as when you say sprinkle salt liberally on the steak...meaning easy going on morals, spending, open border...basically everything goes. It is an insult.
The opposite of that Americans call conservative which in America means principled, grounded in some truth, - religion (preferably Christian), family values, careful, disciplined.

Slowly you realize there is nothing behind those terms at all. You throw them around to say I am this and you are the other and you and your type are the downfall of America.
In colleges, liberal means not professional/technical. If you must, the education that produces people who wonder if the sky is truly blue instead of fixing something
America 101.

Last edited:
This seems to be quickly moving into political areas. The characterization of liberals and of conservatives, as defined above are heavily weighted from a single perspective (at least, as I see it).

I don't think that characterizing a perception of liberal vs conservative has much to do with the Liberal Arts that are being taught in Universities.

I would suggest a distinction between liberal arts from technical or scientific arts. Literature, languages, philosophy, arts, history, humanities, and other areas of study are liberal arts. Engineering, physics, medicine (or pre-med), chemistry, similar areas aren't liberal arts. There may, of course be blurred lines because students often take courses in both areas.

More on Old Time Radio (OTR) - there's also a site - RUSC.COM (r u sitting comfortably) that has a lot of OTR. I don't know if they sell it or you can listen for free. I've listened a few times. There's also Radio Classics on Sirius XM.

Reactions: V__
This seems to be quickly moving into political areas. The characterization of liberals and of conservatives, as defined above are heavily weighted from a single perspective (at least, as I see it).

I don't think that characterizing a perception of liberal vs conservative has much to do with the Liberal Arts that are being taught in Universities.

I would suggest a distinction between liberal arts from technical or scientific arts. Literature, languages, philosophy, arts, history, humanities, and other areas of study are liberal arts. Engineering, physics, medicine (or pre-med), chemistry, similar areas aren't liberal arts. There may, of course be blurred lines because students often take courses in both areas.
Ha! It is liberal arts and sciences.

If your degree is a BA or BS you have a liberal arts and sciences degree.
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Sociology, Economics, Literature...

If you have B.Eng...then you are a technical person. Now to show the confusion someone getting a Bachelor of Science in Engineering....hmmmmm

Back