The First Step In Developing A Warfarin Replacement For Valvers

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Researchers at the Mayo Clinic put either an aortic or mitral valve in 13 pigs. They gave the pigs no anticoagulation. After 30 days the pigs were killed and (through a method not described in the extract) they were able to recover clots and weigh them.

This sets a standard by which the new drugs being developed to replace warfarin can be compared when they are given to pigs that will have similar surgeries.

Drugs must be proven to be effective in animal models before they can be tested in people.

Marcoumar from Roche

Marcoumar from Roche

Al- Have you seen any reports on Marcoumar (Roche), available only in Switzerland, which is touted as a possible Coumadin replacement. A friend of mine was on it for a while and encountered serious side effects.

Jim N.

Marcoumar is not a replacement for warfarin, it is an alternative. Many European countries have these variations of warfarin that are their favorites. They work almost exactly like warfarin. Roche is a Swiss company. It is probably more a matter of national pride rather than any actual therapeutic advantage.

Marcoumar

Marcoumar

Al- Thanks for the feedback. The story given my Swiss friend was that Marcoumar made control of INR much easier.

Jim N.

But, but.........

But, but.........

allodwick said:
This sets a standard by which the new drugs being developed to replace warfarin can be compared when they are given to pigs that will have similar surgeries.

But what about those folks who aren't overweight? ;) :D Just kidding, of course. Thanks as always, Al, for keeping us up to date with what is going on. You KNOW I am watching this development very closely! Many hugs. J.

Latest posts

Back