Teenager - one year on.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmapenny

My son (now 16) had his surgery a year ago today.

He had a few set backs in the hospital and we left to go back home 3 weeks later absolutely terrified and traumatised as his Anti Coagulation team had made us feel like he was a ‘ticking time bomb’ his life as we knew it was over and we had to get our heads round a new one.

We took him in for his operation a fit (he had no symptoms) sociable & sporty 15 year old boy and we left thinking he’d never be able to be the same again. We were told no more sports, other than riding an bike and made to think he was now at risk of bleeding out if he fell and cut his knee. It was implied a life of Xbox would be a good route for him now. And school was now a danger zone due to potential accidents.

He was told to eat very few green vegetables, including cucumber…… and his habit of downing a pint of milk when he came in thirsty were only to be done now if he did it everyday. Also no alcohol in the future when he was allowed.

I actually remember getting home and thinking I’d rather he hadn’t had the surgery and ended up dying naturally than living the life he had ahead of him. Which was an awful thought to have but I just thought how miserable he would be just staying home on the sofa and not being himself.

After a short while thankfully I came across this site. I spent hours reading and learning and looking for hope. Thankfully I found it here and it that’s when my outlook changed.

Since surgery a year ago, he’s eating and drinking exactly as before. He’s back to playing all the sports he enjoyed before. He’s fallen over, he’s got bruises, he’s taken up new sports, he’s been to parties, he’s done his exams, he’s had his prom, he’s had a few beers, we’ve been on holiday a couple of times and he’s turned 16 and living his best teenage life out with his mates and having fun.

He didn’t play rugby or martial arts so he didn’t need to think about that. But he does play soccer, he’s had a few kicks on the ankles/shins so far it’s not been any different to before. He knows he needs to protect his head most importantly and he avoids heading the ball recklessly.

So thanks to everyone on here , whether you posted in response to my messages or wrote your own posts to give me some insight or inspiration. It’s really been invaluable and I hope this post may give some hope to another parent facing a similar scary time.

Since surgery a year ago, he’s eating and drinking exactly as before. He’s back to playing all the sports he enjoyed before. He’s fallen over, he’s got bruises, he’s taken up new sports, he’s been to parties, he’s done his exams, he’s had his prom, he’s had a few beers, we’ve been on holiday a couple of times and he’s turned 16 and living his best teenage life out with his mates and having fun.
Your post is a perfect example of how little an anti-coagulant has on life. Sounds like your son is a contender to blow thru my longevity record.........and I hope he does!! Incidentally, you are to be congratulated as well.......it can't be easy to raise a teenage boy on warfarin.

Your post is a perfect example of how little an anti-coagulant has on life. Sounds like your son is a contender to blow thru my longevity record.........and I hope he does!! Incidentally, you are to be congratulated as well.......it can't be easy to raise a teenage boy on warfarin.
Thank you! It does add another layer of ‘excitement’ and a few more grey hairs!

He had a few set backs in the hospital and we left to go back home 3 weeks later absolutely terrified and traumatised as his Anti Coagulation team had made us feel like he was a ‘ticking time bomb’ his life as we knew it was over and we had to get our heads round a new one.

We took him in for his operation a fit (he had no symptoms) sociable & sporty 15 year old boy and we left thinking he’d never be able to be the same again. We were told no more sports, other than riding an bike and made to think he was now at risk of bleeding out if he fell and cut his knee. It was implied a life of Xbox would be a good route for him now. And school was now a danger zone due to potential accidents.

He was told to eat very few green vegetables, including cucumber…… and his habit of downing a pint of milk when he came in thirsty were only to be done now if he did it everyday. Also no alcohol in the future when he was allowed.

I actually remember getting home and thinking I’d rather he hadn’t had the surgery and ended up dying naturally than living the life he had ahead of him. Which was an awful thought to have but I just thought how miserable he would be just staying home on the sofa and not being himself.

After a short while thankfully I came across this site. I spent hours reading and learning and looking for hope. Thankfully I found it here and it that’s when my outlook changed.

He didn’t play rugby or martial arts so he didn’t need to think about that. But he does play soccer, he’s had a few kicks on the ankles/shins so far it’s not been any different to before. He knows he needs to protect his head most importantly and he avoids heading the ball recklessly.

So thanks to everyone on here , whether you posted in response to my messages or wrote your own posts to give me some insight or inspiration. It’s really been invaluable and I hope this post may give some hope to another parent facing a similar scary time.
I had my FIRST surgery in 2005 at 40 years old. I had my second in 2020.. Im so glad you found this site for more information because that life they described he was going to have sound like the grimest future ever! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY AND MANY MANY MORE!!! God Bless you and your Son. <3

Back