TEE or 3D TEE

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giro

I am scheduled for a TEE exam next week. I had an appointment today for a second opinion and during the course of the appointment the surgeon mentioned the use of a 3D TEE. I plan on bringing this up with my cardiologist but the more I read about 3D TEEs they appear to be the preferred method over a regular TEE in preparing for valve surgery. I don't know why my original cardiologist did not schedule a 3D TEE.
Are any of you aware of any reason why a Dr. would think it is not necessary?

I didn't know there was a 3D TEE. I'll ask my cardiologist about it during my next visit in a few months.

I'm not sure about the difference between regular and 3D TEE. But are TEE's even considered necessary. I never had one pre-surgery. I believe I probably had one maybe during surgery as anesthesiologist mentioned needing room for the camera and vent tube while examining my mouth. Other than that possibility I never had a TEE pre or post.

Here is what I discovered. A 3D TEE gives the surgeon a 3D model to assist in repairing or replacing a valve.
I asked my cardiologist if he was going to do a 3D TEE and he said yes. I guess he wasn't precise when he said he was going to do a TEE.
actually my surgeon initially said it wasn't necessary as he was having it done during the surgery. But after consulting with my cardiologist he said it should be done ahead of time.

Cardio has a bigger say and he/she should be alright with doing it before surgery. It will give them a bigger picture ahead of time of what is there and any other problems that needs attention during surgery. Feel pblessed that both are talking and agree with this 3D Tee. Good luck and tell us when the big will be. And the results of the Tee. Hugs for today.

You are right, I am happy that my cardiologist and surgeon appear to communicate well!
I am scheduled for surgery Sept. 14th. Right now the surgeon will be repairing my tricuspid valve and mitral(unless he has to replace it).
At the outset the surgeon is going to take another look at my aortic valve via another TEE to determine if it needs replacement. If it doesn't he will use a minimally invasive entry for the two valves. If it involves 3 valves it will be full OHS. Obviously hoping for the two.
Thanks for the kind words.

Latest posts

Back