Symptoms

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpj123

To me this is the tricky part. The dr. thinks December is a good target date. It works good for my life but at the same time that is 6 months of wondering:

I have been dizzy just about everyday. Usually an hr at a time or so. Nowhere near a passing out feeling. More like a 2-3 drink buzz. It did not start until I started the beta blocker...but it is annoying and worrisome when it happens.

What were your dealings with symptom onset? TI

If the dizziness didn't start until you started the beta blocker then it would seem likely an effect of the beta blocker - that is one of the side effects particularly as it lowers blood pressure. I would go back to the doc who prescribed the beta blockers if it were me and ask him/her.

In my reply to you in the '4 days to decide' thread where you first posted, you'll see that I never had any symptoms prior to surgery, not even the day before. Plenty of symptoms post surgery LOL (no kidding :( ) and it wasn't until after surgery that I was prescribed beta blockers which I got off as soon as the cardiologist said I could……....and I pushed him to get off them.

1. I think we have a similar profile.....maybe not in your class fitness wise...but I have been pretty steady p90X over the years and have thought myself pretty healthy.
2. But reading your profile has made me worry more about the "after" symptoms. Everyone tells me how great I am going to feel after surgery...but I never felt bad to begin with.
3. Besides it being cool having the BB/HR of a 12 year old the BB suck. It's been about 3 weeks and I have not gotten any more used to them.
cj

You're not me so there's no reason you should have problems after surgery. But I do think that if a person really does feel fine before surgery then maybe, like me, the surgery itself knocks them down a bit. If a person has symptoms before then they notice the relief of the symptoms post surgery and that impresses them most, as it would.

But don't let me worry you ! Without surgery I would be having lots of symptoms by now for sure !

Go into surgery as fit as you can. One thing, I didn't have enough 'reserves' on me so I got very underweight which I'm sure didn't help one bit with recovery. I also have recently discovered that I do not respond to the codeine family of pain killers (I must lack a certain enzyme needed), so what I was given, dihydrocodeine and tramadol weren't working but simply giving bad side effects. When I have a "re-do" (many years in the future) I shall make sure they keep me on morphine - yes there are side effects too but at least with morphine I would have got pain relief and getting pain relief is very important post surgically so that you can get on with exercise and breathing well and such like which help with recovery - you know my best day in hospital was when I was in ICU: I was pain free, did the breathing exercises, had an appetite and felt very well - that's when I was on morphine.

I do urge you to go back to your doc about the BB. It won't help you if they make you feel badly.

I agree that the figuring out what is a symptom is the hard part. Symptoms can be very subjective and they can usually be attributable to other causes. Dizzyness in particular can be due to dehydration, orthostatic hypotension, and very often a side effect of medication. I agree with Paleogirl that going back to the Dr to check whether you need less of a dose, and how it may be impacting your BP and heart rate, is a great first move. I personally have seen a few DRs and have gotten wildly differing opinions on my status of asymptomatic vs symptomatic. Some say fatigue and diminished stamina are symptoms others say NOT cardiac. All are reputable and credible, at least relatively. I had one episode of "pre-syncope" while hiking a steep incline last Christmas. The first and last time it has ever happened to me. All cardios and surgeons say "IF" that was cardiac related, it is a symptom and therefore get thee to AVR! But I hike slopes a lot and use the eliptical for 50 mins a day about 5 days a week, garden like a maniac and take yoga. Besides being tired (one cardio said " you have never been this old before" ) at 62 I don't seem to be symptomatic???
Anyway, currently I am ignoring the recs to have the surgery soon because subjectively I don't think I am symptomatic and objectively: my numbers are boderline severe (depending on which echo numbers you look at.) That's my experience with symptomes, I'd say ambiguous at best. Be well, Bonbet

The other thing is that in Europe - I'm in the UK - they like to do surgery before symptoms develop so they usually go on the measurements on echo and other tests indicating the time for surgery, whereas in the US they go on measurements too but then often wait until a symptom develops - I was checking this out on cardiac websites before I had surgery. The reason for having surgery before symptoms develop is that symptoms are a sign that the heart may be getting 'damaged' as in hypertrophy or enlargement for example.

My bet is on the Beta Blocker. These things can get in the way of a lot of physical activities, but they serve a purpose in heart disease management. I would speak with the cardio about either altering the dose or trying another beta blocker, to see if the symptom (dizziness) can be alleviated.

Many of us had no symptoms before surgery. Often, those of w/o sypmtoms realize after surgery we had them but were in denial. I agree with the others that you should make sure your beta blocker is not causing the problems. If it isn't, and your symptoms are caused by your failing valve, then I would question why the symptoms you have do not require an earlier surgery or at least an echo right now.

Latest posts

Back