Surgery Postponed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajc1991

I was supposed to have my aorticl valve replaced yesterday (10/30) along with a possible aortic root repair. The surgery was postponed due to acne on my chest. Yeah, it sucks, but luckily I prepared myself days ahead for not having the surgery since I knew there was a possibility that they would not want to operate since there was acne present and they don't want me to get an infection (and either do I).

Pretty long day at the hospital. Surgery was scheduled to take place at 7:30 AM and we were to report to the hospital at 4:45 AM. I reported to the hospital on time and one of the surgeons assistants came around at about 6:45 AM and told us that my surgery was postponed due to a man having an aneurism and needed to be operated on immediately. My surgery was pushed back about 7 1/2 hours, to take place at 2. The nurse brought up that she heard that I had chest acne. She took a look and said it shouldn't be a problem but it wasn't for her to decide. I had about 4 people look at the acne and said there was really only one pimple that was of a concern and it was one that was really close to the incision site. They didn't want it to accidentally open and produce an infection in case it carried staph. My surgeon came along to make the final decision and said that he was to care for me as if I was his own son, and decided he did not feel comfortable operating on me in case I got an infection and it infected the valve. They shot the acne up with some steroids (that will make the pimples that caused concern to go away quicker) and gave me a cream to put on the acne that will help clear it up. The surgery date now is unclear but they said they have an eye on a spot that is in two weeks. So we'll see what happens. It all depends on if it clears up, which hopefully it will. Good thing is that I get to enjoy Halloween, bad thing is that I have to go back to work next week. Oh well, it's for the best.

It seems to me that your surgeon made the sensible decision in postponing, and you seem to have a good attitude about it. Maybe the two week date will work, and then you will have enjoyed Halloween and your surgery will be finished before the Thanksgiving holiday. Wishing you all the best as you wait. Mary

Back