Surgery on Friday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanwow1

Well here is how the last 24 hours have gone:

Tuesday 9:30 am, offered a date of Feb 6, have to turn it down because my in-laws will be away and we want them to be in the city for at least the surgery day.
11:30 am, surgeon's office calls to say that another surgeon has a cancellation for this Friday, am I interested?
11:30-1, think about it while trying to get a hold of my wife
1:15 pm, call back to accept, am told the other surgeon's office will call me shortly to confirm.
3:15, get a call from new surgeon's office that they are waiting for him to get out of a meeting so he can review my chart, will call me within the hour
4:30, haven't heard anything so I call, find out they might have an emergency case that would have to take the slot, surgeon has to review THAT chart, so they will let me know in the morning
8 am today, get a call to confirm that I am good to go for the surgery on Friday.

Whew! What an emotional roller coaster. I am somewhat overwhelmed but very excited to get it over with. I will be admitted to the hospital tomorrow (thursday) evening for all my pre-surgery testing etc. and then I'll be receiving a full sternotomy and aortic valve replacement with On-x valve by Dr. Al Alkabi at the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton, AB first thing Friday morning.

Thank you again for all the support you have all provided, I would not be nearly as calm and prepared for this if I hadn't discovered this forum.

I will update you afterwards when I can. Wish me luck!

skeptic49;n851844 said:
What did your pre-admission testing consist of?
They took blood, did an EKG , urine sample, listened to my breathing and took a chest x-ray. Signed a few forms ,including one telling them they can study whatever bits they take out, and had a few cups of that top shelf coffee served in the downstairs cafe. They also ran thru what to expect, hospital procedures ,gave me the special soap and a prescription for the nose drops .

cldlhd;n851849 said:
They took blood, did an EKG , urine sample, listened to my breathing and took a chest x-ray. Signed a few forms ,including one telling them they can study whatever bits they take out, and had a few cups of that top shelf coffee served in the downstairs cafe. They also ran thru what to expect, hospital procedures ,gave me the special soap and a prescription for the nose drops .

thanks...wondered what to expect when I go into Temple on the 11th

skeptic49;n851850 said:
thanks...wondered what to expect when I go into Temple on the 11th
It wasn't too bad was in at 9 am and out by noon and fortunately there wasn't any snow on the ride home. Well when you head down on the 11th hopefully I'll be heading home.

Shanwow1 ...
Wow just like that !! Wait is very emotionally draining. I will be anxious to hear your story post op. Edmonton may be or is a real option or possibility for me as well. Your going to do wonderfully. Prayers are with you.

Just a quick post to say I made it through surgery and am now recovering at home. Having trouble with keeping energy up because almost all food has a terrible aftertaste. I will post my surgery story soon when I can concentrate for longer.

Latest posts

Back