Staying the Course -- 12-14-2015

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Thanks for your encouragement, honeybunny! Sorry for the momentary downer.

Starting a new week. Welcome to all.

My weight at the cardiologist's office this morning was 4 pounds less than what they had listed six months ago, but that is not real progress because I weigh waaaaay too much.

Good news is that echo showed my piggy valve continues to work well.

Pretty good news also is that my area of concern, left atrial enlargement, was stable over the past 6 months. No further alarming increasing.

I was going to ask her about getting into Phase III "maintenance" cardiac rehab for a monitored program of reducing weight and hence shrinking the LA, but the terrible news is that bottom-line managers at the hospital have just this week eliminated it -- forcing several CR nurses into early retirement and leaving several of my Mended Hearts buddies without support. My cardio and I agree that cutting back on preventive medicine doesn't save money -- quite the opposite.

I will look into getting some help with an exercise program. My cardiologist is the best I've had since the one I had in Virginia pre-surgery a decade ago.

I hope all is going well with others as they Stay the Course during the holidays.

Cheers,

SUPERBOB

He's baaack! Great to see you feeling better and making plans for weight loss. It is so tough if you have a certain metabolism and are over 30. I groaned out loud when I read that maintenance cardiac rehab has been eliminated. Going to a gym is not the same, not for me anyway.

I'm sitting here eating chicken tenders and french fries. How much do you want to bet I'll be a pound heavier when I weigh-in at rehab this afternoon!

Losing weight doesn't get any easier with age, that's for sure, HB. If I could just lose 5 and keep it off, that would help. Not the ideal season to be thinking about that, but seems like it pops into my mind about this time every year. Maybe it will help me eat goodies "in moderation."

I've got to make a nutrition and exercise program and stick to it.

Occasional fast-food lunches, like chicken tenders, are hard to avoid altogether -- given how hectic life is.

I have to say here that eating very low carb, this time of year is so easy-peasy and I can't put on weight - all that turkey, all that pork, all those brussel sprouts and other veggies, forget the potatoes I'll take roast celeriac or mashed celeriac with cauliflower - yum. Turkey though is one of my favourite, favourite meats, so favourite that I have two on order this Christmas, one for Christmas Day when we have guests and the other for ourselves a few days later. Left over turkey makes great fast food. Have a look at this website for some great low carb recipes which will go some way to helping you keep your weight stable or less and be absolutely delicious at the same time: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prima...#axzz3uKFFrLAV

Good suggestions, Paleogirl! We went to a Mended Hearts party last night and I concentrated on the protein -- the turkey and ham -- plus the veggie nibbles. Did have small samplings of the dressing and casseroles and a small slice of red velvet cake. I love turkey and leftover ingredient for sandwiches better than anything.

Trying my best to exercise moderation while enjoying the season. Cheers!

Some great ideas here, gang.

Anne - I'm with you on the turkey. We have turkey all year long, not just at the holidays. My wife makes it many ways. In addition to the usual roast turkey, she makes turkey sloppy joe, turkey chili, turkey pot pies, turkey salad, bar-b-que pulled turkey. . . you name it. If it can be made with another meat, you can do it with turkey. She has even made stuffed cabbage and meat loaf using turkey. She does add finely chopped peppers and/or onions to the recipes that use ground turkey - just to add flavor. In the other recipes, she increases the spice load to make up for the natural blandness of the turkey.

I like turkey so much that I've even found a local restaurant that makes turkey burgers for me if I want one at lunch time.

SB - Keep up the focus on the proteins! When I was a kid, if I was going to have a second helping of anything on the dinner table, it was the meat first, veggies next, and rarely if ever, the starch/carbs. I'm still pretty much that way, and I can tell you that those few times when I do jump into a bowl of something like pasta, I can feel the added "weight" for days after eating it. I do love my breads - especially freshly baked ones, but I keep the pasta, rice and potatoes to a single modest helping.

We just returned from our annual "mini-vacation" of a December week in Florida. This year, since my wife was "tired" of the coastal cities we usually frequent, we went to the Orlando area. We stayed away from all of the theme parks and the big city crowds, tending instead to occupy ourselves up north in Altamonte Springs and Winter Park. We had a relaxing, good time, with a few activities and visits to some surprisingly good restaurants. I was surprised to find that I really didn't gain more than a pound of retained fluid weight from all the restaurant meals. I'm hoping that this means I have a fighting chance to avoid the winter weight gain I've fought for so many years. I shouldn't say anything about that right now, as we are just days away from the arrival of our daughter, son-in-law and grandson for the holiday season. I'm sure food and wine will follow, as will a decrease in gym time, so I'd better be careful.

Hi Steve - you are really lucky being able to get turkeys all year round ! I suspect it's 'cos you live in the US. Here in the UK they only seem to be available at Christmas and sometimes at Easter. We always buy an organically reared free range turkey and those are only available at Christmas. Also very expensive. Our 4 to 5 kg (9 to 11 pound) turkey that we're having next week will cost £67.99 or $103 !!!! So it is a real treat but worth every penny.

Don' t know how to add a comment honeybunny - I could buy cheap turkey here, factory farmed frozen turkey which for the same weight would cost £18 or $24 a turkey. But the flavour wouldn't be there. The turkey I'm getting tastes fantastic, like sucking pig, nothing like frozen, cheap turkey. But I can't buy the cheap turkey out of Christmas or Easter….must be because turkeys originally came from America so you have a lot of 'em :)

Soon after we got married, we rented the upstairs of a farmhouse in the Shenandoah Valley, and our landlord went out on Thanksgiving morning and shot a wild turkey to prepare for dinner. Talk about fresh! And they are plentiful in many rural areas, I believe.

They're plentiful in suburban areas! Got family groups of 7-10 turkeys hanging out in the neighborhood quite regularly. They are the dumbest birds though. Earlier this year we watched a bunch of them go through a a split rail fence. The last one was too fat. So he just kept trying each slot in the fence and failing, every single one till he got to the end and ran around the fence to rejoin his group which by then was a block away. We about passed out from laughing.

That sounds about right for wild turkeys. My daughter has told us some stories about the wild turkeys where she lives, in semi-rural western Massachusetts. One could write a comic strip if they just personified the dumb birds and wrote "real-life" captions about their antics!

Turkeys are funny ... this at a friends turkey farm reminded me of management meetings:

as always, I'm behind the camera

Oh they're crazy - or they're making fun of the guy :) :)

PS - if I watch too many funny vidoes of turkeys I will end up thinking they're cute and imagine my Christmas dinner making those noises !

Latest posts

Back