Staying the Course -- 11-30-2015

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
HELLO Stay the Coursers -- welcome to a new Stay the Course week! Get up and march around the breakfast table (anyone old enough to remember that show?).. and have another bagel or Krispy Kreme (the official snack food of the undefeated Carolina Panthers!)...

Weight: Okay I checked my baseline weight, recorded August 20, and I am down 5.6 pounds from that. Yay me! Do others still have their baselines and want to make comparisons? (No pressure)....

I won't gripe about anything today. I am happy and blessed to have another day.

Blessings to all. Love to hear from you all.

Cheers,

SUPERBOB

Weighed in at 141.8 this morning. The ounces have been dropping off since I started on the steroids and antibiotics for my pleural effusion 10 days ago. No idea why after struggling for decades to lose weight my metabolism now seems to be working better (if that is the correct term). The only thing I can think of is that this drug treatment is addressing fluid retention, allowing my heart to do a more efficient job. The reasoning behind it doesn't really matter as long as the weight continues to drop off. At 5' 0" I should weigh in at 126 lbs or less.

On another note, I seem to have contracted a head/chest cold. Weather took a turn for the worse yesterday and I was hoping it was just allergies, but I've developed a productive cough, unlike the dry one I've been dealing with. No fever but hacking is no fun.

Confession time - I've gained 10 lbs in the past 3-4 months. I have been off of my exercise routine and eating too much sugar (pumpkin pie, anyone?). I have been really busy at work. I got a new job a few months ago and I am doing my old job and the new one until late Dec. or early Jan. My replacement doesn't start until mid-Dec. and I'm hoping to get her trained in record time! So, I'm not making excuses, it's all me - I've been making poor eating choices and not exercising much! I need to get my work / life balance in sync :)

HB, every time I feel a cold coming on, I call my PCP and get the same advice -- mainly take Mucinex. Don't know if it's the same for you, but it's supposed to aid in getting the congestion out. I hate the stuff but I suppose it helps. Hope you feel better soon. And congrats on the steady weight loss.

Lisa, we'd love to have you joining us here in reporting in about weight battles or anything else. What you describe is not an excuse, it is a rational explanation -- the stress of changing jobs and then having two jobs for a while is enough to throw anyone's eating and exercising out of kilter. Best wishes to you as you gradually restore a better balance.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. I'm sitting here doing holiday cards and later today I'll work on decorating the house for the holidays. It's a rainy cold day here in Philadelphia. I seem to be experiencing less PVCs...hopefully the condition is resolving itself on it's own. Just read a post on Facebook from the AHA about valve disease stressing that it's a lifelong problem that must be monitored regularly even with replacement valves. Of course we know that but the reminder is good. It's cold and flu season so I hope everyone has had their flu shot and can stay healthy. My weight is stable currently and i don't think I did too much damage over the Thanksgiving holiday. In any event I'm back on my low carb diet that has helped me lost the 50 lbs over the past couple of years.

Jim

I'm still here, too. Like so many others at this time of year, I've put on a couple of pounds. Mine has all (yeah, about 2 lbs) crept up on me in the last few days - since the weekend, so I'll be watching to see if it is fluid or not. Might take an extra dose of diuretic if it stays around much longer. It didn't likely come from the holiday dinner, as we had fish, fresh veggies and salad. It might be from the sodium content of too many restaurant meals - a situation not likely to diminish in the next couple of weeks. That's why I keep extra meds on hand.

Of course, the added family activities from now through the new year will put a wrinkle in my exercise schedule, too. I just have to do my best, then pick up the pieces after the holidays. I did fairly well last year, so I'll try the same method again this year.

It is nice to see all the regulars here, good weeks and bad, just because sometimes we need a little bit of normalcy.

Steve, I concur -- holidays are a joy but are also a challenge in terms of keeping on fitness schedule. I'm going to try to exercise moderation as all the Christmas cookies and such appear (easier said than done) and keep moving as best I can. Walking is what I love, but it's not as easy as it once was. No excuse not to at least do the exercise bike, though, on days I don't walk. Have an echocardiogram next Tuesday because my cardio is concerned about dilation of left atrium. Don't think there is a surgical solution to that, but it might mean med or whatever to counter a-fib if that develops. Would like to find out if diet and exercise might help reverse the condition. Any good thoughts from our merry crew would be welcomed.

Cheers....

Latest posts

Back