Staying the Course -- 09--05--2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Enjoyed all the good discussions we had last week. Trina, welcome! Hope everyone is having a relaxing Labor Day. (I guess despite its name, the day is supposed to be about kicking back and relaxing, right?)

You'all asked about us and the hurricane, Hermine (which is STILL churning up the north Atlantic!). Friday was our rough day -- we had about 7 inches of rain in a short period of time. I heard of wind gusts close to 60 mph in some places. I think 50 was about our peak here. We did have a new "river" running through a low place behind our cedars and it caused some concern. The sod managed to handle this rain and dry out okay, but if we ever got hit by a really big one with 20-plus inches of rain, I'm not sure. Hope it wouldn't reach our house. I need to get some good advice about mitigating the problem with maybe drainage ditches or the right kind of foliage or whatever. Either that, or just stock it with bass next time. lol

Ellie and I are keeping up the walking pretty well. Oh and the day AFTER the storm -- what a delight! Gentle breezes, low humidity -- perfect for walking.

Again, all best to everyone. Hope the holiday is enjoyable. And look forward to hearing from y'all. My DW baked a big cake so I am glad she is the one who has to step on the doctor's scale (routine exam) tomorrow morning, not me!

Cheers,

Superbob

Superbob;n868264 said:
Ellie and I are keeping up the walking pretty well. Oh and the day AFTER the storm -- what a delight! Gentle breezes, low humidity -- perfect for walking.
Sounds beautiful. Wish you were my neighbour so I could join you.

We're back! We spent the holiday weekend visiting some friends down in Terre Haute, Indiana. TH is a small city (80K population) in West Central Indiana, about 60-70 miles due West of Indianapolis. We stayed at a guest house there - one we have frequented many times over the past 20 years or so. We've been down there so often that we call it "our summer place." We spent some time in TH, went over to Indy for the afternoon on Saturday, and even got to take a long walk around a park/farm on Sunday. It was hot, but not unbearable.

We got home yesterday to more heat and humidity. The next few days are supposed to be back in the upper 80's and low 90's, with humidity to match. This summer has been more of a waste than any summer in the recent past. We're now hoping for a pleasant, warm fall to make up for it.

Nice relaxing 4-day weekend in Houston (I'm normally off on Fridays). Did a lot of reading after tidying up the house. Oh, and a mani-pedi on Friday.

On the 18th I set out on my Caribbean cruise. This will be my 8th cruise. I'd had one book for the same week last year when I got my diagnosis in May 2015 and cancelled because I didn't know what was ahead for me. So this one will be very celebratory. My birthday is that week and I've already ordered flowers for my stateroom and booked a reservation in the ship's Steak House for the big 6-2. My youngest daughter is scheduled to go with me if legal troubles don't sideline her. She grew up with her dad (long bitter story) and we haven't seen each other much over the last 18 years. I'm really looking forward to spending 7 days with her at sea.

On another note, I ordered an exercise bike with my Sears Reward points. Nothing fancy. Less than $100 retail. Now, I don't use my treadmill regularly so no telling what will happen once it arrives, but it's not costing me anything so what the heck.

Enjoy your week. For us working stiffs it will be a short one.

Hi folks. I'm pleased everyone had a good weekend.

Steve, Terra Haute is my old college town: Indiana State University. My daughter still lives there.

SuperBob, can you keep the storms away from the NC coast next week? We are going to vacation in Topsail, NC for a week.

Honeybunny, it has to be a great treat to go on a cruise to celebrate your new valve - good luck with your daughter.

As for me, with the help of my son and grandson, I cut down four dead trees, fixed my tractor, cut about 15 acers of grass, cooked out over the fire from the tree limbs, took in the local dirt track stock car races, and drank a few, and enjoyed a few sunsets.

This is what six weeks post op with a new aortic valve can do to an old guy. Make him feel like a young man again!

tree-cutting.jpg

Fred - All I can say is WOW! I'm tired just looking at that tree and the list of things you did over the weekend, and for my age, I'm still in pretty good shape.

Funny thing, this Terre Haute connection. My daughter actually went to her first year of college at Rose Hulman in Terre Haute, but by that time we had been visiting friends down there for many years already. My wife's best friend went to college at St. Mary of the Woods, on the other side of town. This past weekend I was most encouraged to see the new stores and restaurants that have opened in town since my last visit. TH is finally joining the rest of us in this 21st century. For many years, the city was a throwback to the 1950's in so many ways. The one thing I miss, though, is that a few years ago our favorite TH Chinese restaurant burned down and has not rebuilt (Jade Garden, over behind Honey Creek Mall).

Latest posts

Back