Staying the Course -- 06-07-2016

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superbob

Steely Resolve!
Supporting Member
Between free-lance work, family responsibilities, and finding time to keep up my own blog, it is becoming hard for me to pay proper attention to "Staying the Course." We have a forum,
"Small Talk," that easily could substitute. It used to be wildly popular but has been little-used lately. It could be revived. Throwdown was started by Cooker as a weight-loss competition.Its continued presence may be confusing to newcomers here -- unless someone wants to revive the weight-loss goals and banter.

(Next day edit, second thoughts) -- Oh heck, SB thinks he will just stay the course with STC ..... not a big deal to post a few thoughts from time to time. Really enjoy hearing from y'all......

Just to keep this thread going a bit, even if it's the final week, I recently bought this book 'The Real Meal Revolution' by Professor Tim Noakes. I always wanted it as Prof Noakes is of the low carb high fat camp. He's also an athlete, though that's nothing to do with this book. When the book was full price I didn't want to fork out for it as I don't need to lose weight - the book is principally aimed at people who need to lose a bit of weight - and I already knew the 'science' behind LCHF, but I knew that when it came down in price I would get it. It came down in price recently. Ha, I would have happily paid the full price had I known how good it was. Wonderful recipes ! In less than two weeks we've made four of the recipes and they have been absolutely delicious. All low carb high fat. Professor Noakes also explains the science behind the low carb high fat way of eating: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1472135695/ref=nav_timeline_asin?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So sorry to hear that SB. This is a thread I look forward to. But I understand. Unfortunately I have nothing to post on the weight loss from except I'm doing better with limiting my sugar intake. Not enough to make a difference though. On a good note, I interviewed today with our Business Development department which is looking to replace a communications coordinator who is leaving next month. Since the job I was hired for ends in September I've been a little concerned wether I'd have a job after that. Now I think I will. I'll backfill the position for awhile so they can evaluate me but I'm confident I'll pass muster. Thanks for letting me share.

Thanks for the book review, Anne. My problem is cooking a healthy meal for one. I work 10 hour days plus have a 2 hour round trip commute. I simply can't be bothered whipping up a decent meal. I almost never eat fast food but that's my only saving grace. I don't know if I'd do any better with a partner, though.

Hope that job works out, HB -- sounds promising. And Paleogirl, thanks for the book recommendation -- just saw a plug for "low carb, high fat" eating (though a different author) on a Facebook friend's page. I will have to check out that book you suggest. Might help me...

And I was probably just down in the dumps a bit, as I get from time to time --- doesn't take me but a few minutes to start a new thread each week, and if it's still useful to some, why not do it? Could always take a break when needed, or just do it when the mood strikes.

Cheerio!

SB - I remember Small Talk from my early years here. At that time, there were many more members who considered each other to be friends (nearly family) than there are now. The community seems to have evolved into more of a pure support group rather than an extended family that also knows all about what you're going through with your heart issues. We used to have a great many more members who were much more visible and were a diverse group as well. Think of what the board was like if you had a dozen people all as active as paleogirl and pellicle.

Since the last software upgrade, it seems that we don't have that same active social community. I, for one, mourn it, as I felt that I had many friends within the group. True, some have split off to form another on-line heart valve community, but many others have simply stopped visiting the board. A lot of people seem to be using Facebook (although I still do not have a presence there).

STC may be the last bastion of the few of us who are friends for more than "just" heart valve issues. To me, that makes it VERY important.

You might have hit the nail on the head there Steve. I moderate a Yahoo Group (homeschooling ASD kids) and am a member of two other health forums (diabetes and osteoporosis), plus a forum for Brits who have houses in the Languedoc, France. All the forums used to be extremely busy and one could get a lot of support there and give it back. Then the last few years there's very little 'traffic', it's noticeable on all the forums. I put it down social media like Facebook. I'm not a member of Facebook - I much prefer forums like this one because topics are under various headings which makes it easier to find and address particular concerns. And there's usually an 'any other topic not forum related' section where people can do small talk. It's such a shame that forums (fora ?) are losing ground - we have to keep them going !

The forum is valuable not only for the current postings but for its archives. I spent many many hours reading the archives before my surgery, and I appreciated all the information that people had provided. It's nice to be able to ask new questions and share new information too.

Good points, all. It is weird how much that activity on "Small Talk" has declined over the years. I remember when it was pretty much the go-to place, or one of them anyway. Good to know that we serve a purpose with STC.

Latest posts

Back