Snowshoes

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jean

I got a pair of snowshoes and telescoping poles for Christmas and since we had had no snow worthy of the name, hadn't gotten to use them. But now we are blessed with nice light fluffy stuff. I went snowshoeing after school Monday and it was so great...sun was shining and warming me. Snowshoeing really gets you working. I was going to go for 30 minutes, but could tell my hips and upper legs would not be pleased with me if I did so I hung it up after 20. I really like them better than cross country skis...at least for trekking over farm fields and lightly wooded areas. Didn't go yesterday as that wind was just so fierce with wind chill making my sinuses really rebell.

Hi Jean,
I know nothing of snow shoes, but my wife is trying to convince me to try cross-country skiing with her. Given that I presently jog 18 to 20 miles a week, do you think cross-country is likely to be within my abilities?

Steve - I don't know the numbers, but cross country skiing really burns the calories - more so than running because you are also really pushing your upper body. Its a great way to see some parts of the outdoors that other people never see. The snow shoes are a little more maneuverable in tight quarters, but not nearly as fast. For less fuss, get the waxless skis, and as you already know, dress in layers. Serious canoists and kayakers often use cross country when their rivers turn hard. Chris

I am a volunteer ranger at Olympic National Park so I do lots of cross country and snow shoe. This past year we have seen a big increase in snowshoe visitors. They seem to like the simplicity or the percieved simplicity. I hear people say,"I just put them on and go"
There are a lot of different kinds on the market. The trick is to choose on the basis of what you weigh and what kind of snow you will probably shoe in. The MSR platform shoe is a darn good shoe. Just put them on and go in almost any kind of snow. But if you are a big person, carry a backpack and you shoe in powder then you need a hoop style. I use 36" Tubbs because I weight 212# and often shoe in new powder. For those icy days like today I use an MSR. Go online, REI.com is a good place, and check them out.
Cross country also needs you to determine what kind of conditions you will ski in. For city parks, groomed and track set areas just about any touring ski will do. If you are going to the mountains off the beaten track or in ice then get ski's with metal edges. The Fisher line is my favorite.
As far as cardio goes shoes and skis are about the same. You can go farther faster on skis but you can shoe inplaces that only an advanced skier can go (trees). Both are great exercise. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back