Six Years Strong!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieb2101

Wow. It's been a while. I had to get my account re-activated.
Good to see some familiar names still around.

Six years ago today, at the age of 29, I had my congenital uni-cuspid aortic valve replaced (porcine) along with my ascending aorta at UofM. My surgery was pretty lengthy and recovery was hard... but I am still amazed looking back at what a positive impact it has made on my life. I just wanted to pass this story on to those facing surgery.

I didn't realize how restricted I was due to my condition my entire life. I'd always been active but got tired easy and was always told by coaches that I was just lazy. Now six years post surgery, aside from the scar on my chest, I have very little to remind me of what I underwent and am more physically capable than I have ever been. I study Tai-Chi, Kung-Fu, and Brazilian Jui-Jitsu. I mountain bike, brew beer, work a demanding job, and am patiently expecting the arrival of my first born (any day now). For all accounts, I am a normal healthy dude (with a few small side effects but nothing worth noting unless you're curious).

Last checkup, I was told that my valve is still functioning as well as when it was installed and that they're "seeing them last longer and longer these days". After surgery, I was told I'd need to re-op maybe 8-12 years later. Here's hoping I can blow that out of the water. At least long enough for them to come up with a good non-invasive replacement option.

Anyway, I truly consider myself fortunate. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions. I wish you all the best.

Cheers!
-Brian

Brian,

It is great to "see" you back here! It sounds like you're having the storybook life after surgery - you know, the one the surgeons dangle out in front of many of us when we choose surgery. I'm thrilled to hear it so, as it seems that not many tissue valvers have been coming around to tell us how they are doing.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing. Congratulations on all of it - especially the new baby. May you have many, many more wonderful years to enjoy it all!

Congrats Brian! Babies add a whole new demension to life! He/he now becomes your whole reason to live. Hope you have many more happy years!!!!!

Latest posts

Back