Significant Difference between Lab and InRatio2 Meter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did extensive testing of most meters (CoaguChek XS, InRatio and InRatio 2, occasionally the ProTime 3, and, most recently, the Coag-Sense). I compared the results to each other, and to a hospital lab that I am pretty confident in. For myself, at least, I had less confidence in the accuracy of the InRatio (and InRatio 2). If I personally had to choose between the two, I would return the InRatio 2, with no reservations. Besides, the CoaguChek XS is slightly easier to use because you can touch the side of the strip (or the top) with the drop of blood, rather than trying to hit that little green dot.

The cost of strips, from what I recall, is about the same for both meters -- especially if your copay is 10%.

(For my own testing, I am most comfortable with the Coag-Sense, which tends to be slightly lower than the lab and the CoaguChek XS. I am more comfortable with a value that is slightly BELOW actual, so that I avoid the low INR danger zone.

I have a thread going about a similar problem, POC machine run INRs and lab vein drawn INRs not matching either. Mine have been tested on both INRatio and Coagu-check machines with blood draws done within 30' - 1 hr. Machines consistently are reading 1.5-2.5 higher than vein draws. I am now getting set up to try doing the test on the CoagSense machines through a home testing service. Apparently the CoagSense uses a totally different method for processing and measuring the blood clotting and hence INR. You might want to see if you can get access to a CoagSense reader and see if it reads any differently. Do you have any autoimmune system issues? That's the one thing I've found out can cause this problem. People with Lupus or AntiPhospholipid antibodies can have higher readings on POC type machines like INRatio than with lab vein draws. Good luck! I'll try to remember to post results of my effort on the CoagSense machines whenever that happens. It may still be a while but I just found out my insurance approved it, so just a matter of getting ducks in a row with the company.

Back